Port Clinton in Ottawa County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
War of 1812
"The defense of Fort Stephenson by Croghan and his gallant little band was the necessary precursor to Perry's victory on the lake and of General Harrison's triumphant victory at the Battle of the Thames. These assured to our immediate ancestors the mastery of the Great West and from that day to this the west has been the bulwark of this nation."
General Harrison sent expert riflemen from his army to help serve the guns on Commodore Perry's ships in the naval battle with the British Fleet off this landing from which on September 10, 1813 Perry sent the following laconic note, "we have met the enemy and they are ours, two ships, two brigs, one schooner,and a sloop."
General Harrison immediately marched his troops over the Old Sandusky-Scioto Trail to this landing, but transported the stores down the Sandusky River and dragged the boats across the De Lery Portage. From Sandusky Bay to Lake Erie the troops constructed a strong
Erected by the National Society, United States Daughters (N.S.U.S.D.) of 1812, State of Ohio.
Location. 41° 30.828′ N, 82° 56.018′ W. Marker is in Port Clinton, Ohio, in Ottawa County. Marker is at the intersection of East Perry Street (State Road 163) and Fulton Street, on the right when traveling east on East Perry Street. This historical marker is located at the northern end of the De Lery Portage. The De Lery Portage ran north and south, from the southern shore of Lake Erie, to the northern shore of Sandusky Bay, along the length of modern day Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Clinton OH 43452, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. American Expedition 1813 (here, next to this marker); Indian Mill Stone (approx. ¼ mile away); End of Harrison's Trail In Ohio - War of 1812 (approx. half a mile away); Old French War - Pontiac's Conspiracy - Revolutionary War / French Expedition, 1754 (approx. 1.9 miles away); Fort Sites / De Lery Portage (approx. 1.9 miles away); Boundary Marker (approx. 5.8 miles away); Medusa Portland Cement Company (approx. 7 miles away); South Bass Island Light (approx. 9.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Clinton.
More about this marker. This historical marker, like the northern end of the De Lery Portage, is located at the eastern edge of the mouth of the Portage River. It was the mouth of the Portage River that had served as a landmark, telling those travelers venturing along the shores of Lake Erie, seeking the De Lery Portage as a short cut to the Sandusky River, exactly where the portage was located.
Categories. • War of 1812 •
More. Search the internet for War of 1812.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 24, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,297 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 24, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.