San Diego in San Diego County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Washington to Baltimore 1844 Telegraph Message
“What Hath God Wrought”
Samuel Morse and his partner Alfred Vail tested the first forty-mile telegraph line, between Washington and Baltimore, on May 24 1844. In most accounts, a young woman provided the first message they sent:
What Hath God Wrought
The long-distance application to the telegraph and Morse code marked the beginning of a new era of communication, where information can travel instantaneously. All telephone, internet and social networks that exist around the world today began with two points: The Supreme Court Chamber in Washington, and the Mount Clair Railway Depot in Baltimore.
Erected 2018 by Mark Bradford.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Communications. A significant historical date for this entry is May 24, 1844.
Location. 32° 52.538′ N, 117° 14.445′ W. Marker is in San Diego, California, in San Diego County. Marker can be reached from Scholars Drive South east of La Jolla Shores Drive, on the right when traveling north. The marker is between Urey and Bonner Halls at the University of California San Diego. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Diego CA 92161, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Torrey Pines Gliderport (approx. 1.1 miles away); Torrey Pines Lodge (approx. 3.2 miles away); Ellen Browning Scripps (approx. 3.3 miles away); Kate Olivia Sessions' Nursery Site (approx. 5 miles away); Surfer's Memorial (approx. 5 miles away); The Ballad of P.B. (approx. 5.7 miles away); Mission Beach Roller Coaster (approx. 7.3 miles away); Johnson-Taylor Adobe Ranch House (approx. 7.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Diego.
Regarding Washington to Baltimore 1844 Telegraph Message. “What Hath God Wrought” is an art installation conceived by Los Angeles-based artist Mark Bradford. The 199-foot tall metal flagpole-like sculpture has a flashing light which spells out “What Hath God Wrought” in Morse Code. It is installed near Revelle Plaza on the UCSD campus - one of the oldest public areas on campus - that had included an immense communication tower in its original 1960s design. The University’s commemorative founding plaque, dated 1961, is located here. The sculpture reflects both the origins of the university as well as the origins of present-day communications.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 29, 2021, by Adam Margolis of Mission Viejo, California. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on September 29, 2021, by Adam Margolis of Mission Viejo, California. 2. submitted on October 13, 2021, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. 3. submitted on September 29, 2021, by Adam Margolis of Mission Viejo, California. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos and text of the University’s commemorative founding plaque (as its own page, if qualified) • Can you help?