Elizabeth in Wirt County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
The Beauchamp Cemetery is located on Route 14 on the north side of the Town of Elizabeth. It was named for William Beauchamp, the first settler in this area. William settled near the Little Kanawha River at Tucker's Riffle in 1796. Beauchamp family members resting in the cemetery include: William Beauchamp, Alfred Beauchamp, Elizabeth Burns Beauchamp, and Elizabeth Woodyard Beauchamp (for whom Elizabeth is named.) Many other early pioneer settlers are also buried there. The Elizabeth Beauchamp Chapter Daughters of American Pioneers provides for the upkeep of the cemetery.
Early Settlement of Elizabeth
William Beauchamp purchased 1400 acres of land and built his cabin and a mill in 1796 at "Tuckers Riffle” on the Little Kanawha River. In 1803 his son, David, built a water grist mill at the end of Court Street and the expanding settlement became known as Beauchamp's Mill. William Beauchamp was born in 1743 and died in 1808. William was a farmer, minister, and served bravely as a Navy soldier during the American Revolution. He is buried in the family cemetery near Tucker's Creek. William
The General Assembly of Virginia in 1822 made a municipal corporation of the town that was laid off by David Beauchamp and named it "Elizabeth” for David's wife, The town of Elizabeth in Wood County, Virginia took its place as a town on the map.
The McClung-Morgan House is located on the historic Court Square In Elizabeth. It is one of Wirt County's early homes built by Dr. Park Walker McClung and his wife, Kate Nuzum McClung. The house features beautiful woodwork and the craftsmanship of builders prior to the Civil War.
Hidden behind the walls of the Kanawha Hotel is the log cabin overlooking the river that was built in 1800 by Manlove Beauchamp. Visitors can see a portion of the log structure that has been left exposed in the porch area. This hotel contained a dining hall where home-style meals were served and had sleeping rooms with double beds that most of the time was shared by strangers. There was a "sample room" in the hotel where the drummers (salesmen) would display their wares. The hotel also operated a livery stable where horse and buggy rentals were available.
The hotel had gas lights and a long wooden boardwalk on the side that came up from the river. There was a living room for entertainment that provided a space for riverboat passengers to socialize. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.
The Beauchamp-Newman Museum, long known as the "Old Rad Brick" is the oldest brick building in Elizabeth. Alfred Beauchamp built it in 1835-40. Alfred was the grandson of William Beauchamp, the first settler in this area.
The General Assembly of Virginia created Wirt County from Wood and Jackson Counties in January of 1848. Naming his hometown of Elizabeth as the county seat honored Alfred Beauchamp. In April and May 1848, the first circuit court and the first county court convened at Beauchamp's home. The first Wirt County Bar was. Instituted and Arthur I. Boreman, first governor of West Virginia, obtained permission to practice in the commonwealth.
After Alfred Beauchamp's death, his estate was sold to Alexander Lowther 1872. The dwelling was used as a store and a post office and serve other purposes over the years. In 1953 the Elizabeth Beauchamp Chapter Daughters of American Pioneers purchased the building from the Snodgrass family. They established the Beauchamp-Newman Museum in 1955. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.In 1974.
Wirt County was created by the General Assembly of Virginia on January 19, 1848. It was formed from portions of Wood and Jackson counties. The county was named for William Wirt. Wirt was a distinguished Virginia statesman, lawyer, and author. In May 1848, Colonel Thomas Tavenner conveyed one acre of land to the County of Wirt for the purpose of bulling a courthouse The first story of the court house and jail were made of cut stone and the rest was brick. It served the county until the evening May 15, 1910, when it was destroyed by a fire. Local masons laid the cornerstone for the currant Wirt County Courthouse May 30, 1911. It was designed in a Classical Revival style and built by the Smith Fireproof Construction of Washington, DC courthouse and jail were built and completely furnished for approximately $45,000. The courthouse stands tall and strong as symbol of unity for Wirt County. The bulling was placed on the National Register of Historic Pieces to 2004.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1848.
Location. 39° 3.786′ N, 81° 23.672′ W. Marker is in Elizabeth, West Virginia, in Wirt County. Marker is on Washington Street just north of Market Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 19 Washington St, Elizabeth WV 26143, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Elizabeth (within shouting distance of this marker); Wirt County Honor Roll (within shouting distance of this marker); Beaucamp-Newman Museum (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wells Lock and Dam No. 3 (approx. half a mile away); Murder of William B. Dulin (approx. 3.3 miles away); Ruble Church (approx. 4.9 miles away); Camp Kootaga (approx. 6.1 miles away); Burning Springs Oil Field (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elizabeth.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 20, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 9, 2022, by TeamOHE of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 101 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 9, 2022, by TeamOHE of Napoleon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.