New Albany in Floyd County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The first frame house in New Albany, built by Joel Scribner, one of the city’s founders. Purchased in 1917 from his grand-daughter, Miss Harriet Scribner, by Piankeshaw Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1814.
Location. 38° 17.006′ N, 85° 49.37′ W. Marker is in New Albany, Indiana, in Floyd County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street (Indiana Route 111) and State Street, on the right when traveling east on East Main Street. Marker and subject house are located at the southeast corner of the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 106 East Main Street, New Albany IN 47150, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Founding of New Albany (a few steps from this marker); Old New Albany (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mob Violence, 1862 (about 500 feet away); Market House (about The Israel House (about 600 feet away); New Albany Downtown Historic District (about 600 feet away); State Bank of Indiana (about 700 feet away); New Albany's First Bank Building (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Albany.
Regarding Scribner House. National Register of Historic Places #77000015.
Also see . . .
1. Scribner House.
Joel built the house in 1813-1814 using the ash, oak, and poplar trees that were cut down when clearing the property. It is designed in a New England Federal style. In total, it is 2˝ stories. The first-floor features two parlors and a hall. The second floor has 3 bedrooms. Both these floors have a rear porch that allowed a view of the Ohio River. The ground floor is the large kitchen with a wide fireplace used for cooking. The house passed through the family until the final owner, Harriet Scribner, a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution, sold it to the Piankeshaw Chapter of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution.(Submitted on March 26, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Scribner House
In 1916, it was suggested that Piankeshaw Chapter buy the Scribner home from Miss Hattie Scribner to use as a chapter house. Joel Scribner, one of the three brothers who founded the city, built this property, the first frame house in New Albany. The chapter purchased the property in 1917 at a price of $1,500. On Flag Day 1928, the mortgage was burned. The Piankeshaw Chapter is devoted to the preservation of this important part of history.(Submitted on March 26, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 26, 2022. It was originally submitted on March 24, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 120 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 26, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.