near Ulmer in Bamberg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
established by 1832.
Present 1856 house of
worship is all that
remains of pre~ Civil
War Settlement of
Erected 1992 by Mizpah Methodist Church. (Marker Number 5-3.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1832.
Location. 33° 7.191′ N, 81° 10.801′ W. Marker is in near Ulmer, South Carolina, in Bamberg County. Marker is at the intersection of Burton Ferry Road (U.S. 301) and Mizpah Lane, on the right when traveling south on Burton Ferry Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ulmer SC 29849, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Buford's Bridge (approx. ¼ mile away); Olar S.C. (approx. 4.2 miles away); Bethel Baptist Church (approx. 5.6 miles away); Old St. Nicholas Cemetery (approx. 6.2 miles away); Battle Of Rivers’ Bridge (approx. Battle of Rivers' Bridge (approx. 6.4 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Rivers' Bridge (approx. 6.4 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Rivers' Bridge (approx. 6½ miles away).
Regarding Mizpah Church. Buford Bridge was the earliest settlement in what is now Bamberg County.
National Register of Historic Places :Mizpah Methodist Church (added 2000 - Building - #00001531)
♦Also known as Mizpah United Methodist Church
♦ Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering
♦Architectural Style: Greek Revival, Gothic Revival
♦Area of Significance: Architecture
♦Period of Significance: 1850-1874
♦Historic Function: Religion
♦Historic Sub-function: Religious Structure
♦Current Function: Religion
♦Current Sub-function: Religious Structure
Also see . . . National Register Information on Mizpah Methodist Church. Constructed in 1856 in the village of Buford’s Bridge, Mizpah Methodist Church is the only extant building from the old Barnwell District town that flourished in the nineteenth century but had all but disappeared by the (Submitted on September 18, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 7, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,733 times since then and 9 times this year. Last updated on June 4, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 7, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.