Near Spencerville in Auglaize County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Ohio Historical Marker
After Gen. William Hull's surrender at Detroit early in the War of 1812, most of Michigan Territory came under British and Indian control. To prevent a possible invasion of Ohio, Gen. William Henry Harrison, commander of the Northwestern Army, called up the Kentucky and Ohio militia. Rather than moving troops and supplies across the Black Swamp, he chose to use the Auglaize and St. Marys rivers. In November 1812 Harrison ordered Lt. Robert Pogue of the Kentucky Mounted Militia to construct a supply depot at this site, previously an Ottawa village. Pogue, a veteran of the Battle of Fallen Timbers in 1794, named the post Fort Amanda after his 12-year-old daughter, Hannah Amanda.
Quickly built, Fort Amanda initially consisted of four two story blockhouses connected by 11-foot palisades, occupying an area of about 160 feet by 160 feet. Capt. Thomas Ward's company of Kentucky militia garrisoned the fort until February 1813, when Capt. Daniel Hosbrook of the Ohio militia assumed command. Under his direction the fort was enlarged to accommodate the growing quantity of supplies
Erected 2000 by Johnny Appleseed Metro Park District, BP Lima, Fort Amanda State Memorial, and the Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 1-6.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • Native Americans • War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #09 William Henry Harrison, and the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series lists.
Location. 40° 40.841′ N, 84° 16.078′ W. Marker is near Spencerville, Ohio, in Auglaize County. Marker can be reached from Ohio Route 198 0.2 miles south of Deep Cut Road. This historical marker is located deep inside the Fort Amanda State Memorial park, affixed to the Fort Amanda Memorial Monument. To view this historical marker one must walk about 0.2 mile from the parking lot to the memorial. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Spencerville OH 45887, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Fort Amanda (a few steps from this marker); Site of the 86 Acre Homestead of Dye Sunderland (approx. half a mile away); Tawa Town (approx. half a mile away); "Johnny Appleseed" (approx. 2.9 miles away); The Mystery Stone (approx. 3.7 miles away); White Feather's Town (approx. 3.7 miles away); Shawnee Indian Reservation / U.S. Military Reserve (approx. 4.1 miles away); The Town of Hartford (approx. 4˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Spencerville.
More about this marker. The park, and this marker, is just inside the Auglaize County line.
Also see . . . Fort Amanda. This web link was both published and made available by, "Fort Tours," which claims to provide the ingredients to enhance any drive to an American historical destination: battle sites and accounts as well as information on forts, monuments & museums. (Submitted on June 10, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 21, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 10, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,693 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 10, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.