Strasburg Township in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Pennsylvania Railroad No. 7688
With more than 3000 Consolidations on the roster by 1907, the 2-8-0 was clearly the Pennsylvania's locomotive of choice for freight service. Despite the success of current designs, the railroad continuously strove to make a better and bigger locomotive. The ultimate result of those refinements was the H10 class. It took three builders to fulfill the Pennsylvania's requirements of more than 1,200 units during their period of construction, 1907 to 1915. Most were built by the Lima Locomotive Works in Lima, Ohio, or by the Pennsylvania itself in their Juniata Shops. Additional units were supplied by the American Locomotive Company (ALCO) in Schenectady, New York.
All of the H10's were built for the Pennsylvania Lines West, a semi-independent corporation within the Pennsylvania Railroad that operated all of the tracks west of Pittsburg. The locomotives retained their "Pennsylvania Lines" lettering and assignments until the operations were consolidated in 1920. The H10's formed the backbone of the railroad's freight roster through World War I until new L1's and M1's bumped them into local freight, work
Builder: Lima Locomotive Works, Lima, OH
Build Date: September 1915
Retirement Date: October 15, 1957
Wheel Arrangement: 2-8-0
Class: H10s "Consolidation"
Number Built: 1,200+
Weight of Engine: 113.5 tons
Length: (including tender) 70 ft. 3 in.
Driving Wheel Diameter: 62 in.
Tractive Effort: 53,197 lbs.
Fuel Capacity: Coal: 19 tons, Water: 9,090 gal.
Boiler Pressure: 205 psi.
PHMC Cat No. RR79.40.14
* Listed on the National Register of Historic Places *
No. 7688 was one of a group of 25 class H10s' built for the Pennsylvania by the Lima Locomotive Works in 1915. Originally assigned to the Cleveland and Pittsburgh, a Pennsylvania Lines West subsidiary, the locomotive was used on heavy coal and ore trains between Lake Erie and the blast furnaces of the Steel City.
Like most freight locomotives, little else is known about its service life. Once all Lines West operations were consolidated in 1920, the locomotive made its way east to various poitns on the system working on freight, coal, ore, and maintenance of way trains.
Retired at the very end of steam in October of 1957, No. 7688 was selected for preservation in the Pennsylvania's Historic Collection. It is a fitting
(Banner at Bottom):
The Pennsylvania's H10s were among the largest Consolidations ever built.
Erected by Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1915.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 39° 58.963′ N, 76° 9.662′ W. Marker was in Strasburg Township, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker was on Gap Road (Pennsylvania Route 741) east of Bishop Road, on the right when traveling east. Was located in front of the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 300 Gap Road, Ronks PA 17572, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Strasburg Rail Road (within shouting distance of this marker); Reading Observation No. 1 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); History of Railroad Pump Cars (about 600 feet away); 37 East Main Street33 East Main Street (approx. 0.8 miles away); Original Head Race & Water Turbine (approx. 1.9 miles away); Leaman Place Bridge (1893) (approx. 3˝ miles away); The Willows Covered Bridge (approx. 3.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Strasburg Township.
More about this marker. In the lower left, A builder's photograph of H10 No. 9724 shows the distinctive features of its Lines West heritage, including the centered headlight, white rimmed wheels and extended coal bunker on the tender.
In the lower center is a photo of H10 No. 1110. After the consolidation of Lines West operations with the rest of the Pennsylvania system in 1920, the locomotives began to look like the rest of the fleet. H10 No. 1110 has a new standard front end, but retains its Lines West tender. In the middle of the marker, H10 No. 8892 sports the classic Pennsy look.
To the right, No. 7688 is readied for service at the Northumberland roundhouse. The locomotive would return to this same location after retirement to represent its class in the Pennsylvania's Historic Collection.
Also see . . . Pennsylvania Railroad Museum. (Submitted on June 14, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 14, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,279 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on June 14, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.