Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tybee Island in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Carbo House

 
 
The Carbo House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, June 12, 2022
1. The Carbo House Marker
Inscription.  
Constructed in 1932
has been placed on the
National Register of
Historic Places
May 21, 2010

 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1932.
 
Location. 31° 59.517′ N, 80° 50.882′ W. Marker is on Tybee Island, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is at the intersection of Tybrisa Street and Blanco Lane, on the right when traveling east on Tybrisa Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9 Tybrisa St, Tybee Island GA 31328, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Tybrisa Pavilion II (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Screven (approx. 1.8 miles away); Fort Screven District (approx. 1.8 miles away); Fort Screven Bakery (approx. 2 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Screven (approx. 2.1 miles away); The Loss of the HMS Otranto October 1918 (approx. 2.1 miles away); H.M.S. Otranto and Fort Screven
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 2.1 miles away); Henry Sims Morgan (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tybee Island.
 
Regarding The Carbo House. Excerpt from the National Register nomination:
Located along one of Tybee’s main commercial streets, the Carbo House was built in 1932 as part of a rebuilding campaign following a devastating fire in 1931. The fire destroyed 25 buildings, including the original Carbo House, in the historic boarding house area of Tybee, east of Butler Avenue between 16th Street and Silver Avenue. J.D. and Nan Carbo of Waycross, Georgia, built their first, smaller rooming house on Tybee c.1920 on Izlar Avenue. After the 1931 fire, the Carbos purchased additional property and built their second, larger, 16-room boarding house facing 16th Street. By 1935, the Carbos expanded their business by adding a restaurant, called Carbo’s Grill and located at 11 16th Street, and a patio area with a soda and sandwich stand between the boarding house and the restaurant (both no longer extant). After Nan’s death in 1937 and J.D.’s death in 1938, the Carbo House continued to be operated by various family members until 1972. The building remains in use as a rental property to the present
The Carbo House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, June 12, 2022
2. The Carbo House Marker
day. The Carbo House is significant at the state level because it is a rare surviving example of an intact historic boarding house on the Georgia coast.

 
Also see . . .  The Carbo House (PDF). National Register nomination for the house. (National Archives) (Submitted on June 18, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 18, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 18, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 171 times since then and 93 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 18, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=200252

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Sep. 23, 2023