Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Results contain just this marker . . .
Near Stewart Valley in Saskatchewan Landing No. 167, Saskatchewan — The Prairie Region (North America)
 

Saskatchewan Landing

A Saskatchewan Historic Site

— Preserve Our Heritage —

 
 
Saskatchewan Landing Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, June 24, 2022
1. Saskatchewan Landing Marker
Inscription.  
Saskatchewan Landing has been the main north-south crossing of the South Saskatchewan for generations. Indians regularly forded the river here, and Métis buffalo-hunters turned their Red River carts into boats and paddled across.

In 1883 a government ferry was established here to service traffic over the Battleford-Swift Current Trail. Cart ruts are still visible in the hills to the south. The ferry operated continuously until the present bridge was opened in 1953, and dedicated to the pioneers of the surrounding area.

A stage-station was operated here for many years, and for a short time after 1885 a N.W.M.P. Patrol Station.

At this point in 1885 Colonel Otter moved his troops across, enroute to the relief of Battleford, from Swift Current.
 
Erected by Saskatchewan Department of Natural Resources.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & ViaductsNative AmericansWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1883.
 
Location. 50° 38.837′ N, 107° 57.797′ W. Marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
is near Stewart Valley, Saskatchewan, in Saskatchewan Landing No. 167. Marker can be reached from Provincial Highway 4, 7 kilometers north of Provincial Highway 738, on the left when traveling north. Marker is located along the access walkway at the Goodwin House Interpretive Centre in Saskatchewan Landing Provincial Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stewart Valley SK S0N 2P0, Canada. Touch for directions.
 
Also see . . .  Saskatchewan Landing.
The location is believed to be a former Métis river crossing and part of the historic Swift Current-Battleford Trail. There are many pieces of evidence supporting the theory: ruts left from the Red River carts crossing the river, teepee rings, trails, and the Goodwin House (a large stone building built by Frank Goodwin in 1897). It is believed that in the early 1900s, Saskatchewan Landing became a stopover point for travellers, supported by the Goodwin House.
(Submitted on July 1, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
Saskatchewan Landing Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, June 24, 2022
2. Saskatchewan Landing Marker
(looking west • South Saskatchewan River in right background)
Saskatchewan Landing Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, June 24, 2022
3. Saskatchewan Landing Marker
(looking north • Goodwin House and South Saskatchewan River in background)
Saskatchewan Landing image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, June 24, 2022
4. Saskatchewan Landing
(looking northeast along the South Saskatchewan River from south end of present-day Provincial Highway 4 bridge)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 1, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 1, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 179 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 1, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=201051

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 26, 2024