First House in Jetmore
This is the first house on the townsite of Jetmore, built in 1879 by T. S. Haun, the founder of Jetmore, then called Buckner.
Mr. Haun edited the first newspaper in Jetmore, the Buckner Independent, in the west room upstairs in 1879.
The ground floor was the residence of the Haun family.
Early in 1881 the county officers were housed in the east room upstairs in this house.
On the 24th of March, 1881, the first child was born on the Jetmore townsite in this house: Margaret Pauline, daughter of Elizabeth and T. S. Haun.
Travelers stopped at this house for free food and lodging.
It was a community center.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Charity & Public Work • Communications • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1879.
Location. 38° 5.092′ N, 99° 53.641′ W. Marker is in Jetmore, Kansas, in Hodgeman County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 283) just north of West Highway Street, on the left when traveling north. Marker is mounted at eye-level, directly on the subject Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 421 Main Street, Jetmore KS 67854, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regarding First House in Jetmore. National Register of Historic Places #73000759.
From the National Register nomination:
Haun, who was a licensed attorney, successfully represented in court the settlers who wanted the Hodgeman county seat at the geographical center of the county, a location which was close to the Haun homestead. Jetmore became the permanent county seat in 1880. From early in 1881 to the spring of 1882 the county commissioners leased the east upstairs room of the Haun house for county offices and a courtroom. The house was also used as a community center, for Sunday School classes, and for parties. The Hauns were instrumental in the early growth of the town, donating sites for the courthouse, a school, two churches, and an academy and musical institute. They also made a generous donation of land which was sold to raise funds for the construction of the courthouse.
Also see . . .
1. T. S. Haun House. Wikipedia entry:
The T. S. Haun House was built in 1879. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. It is now part of the Haun Museum. (Submitted on August 19, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Haun Museum. Visit Kansas website entry (Submitted on February 12, 2023, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 12, 2023. It was originally submitted on August 19, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 67 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 19, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 3. submitted on February 12, 2023, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. 4, 5. submitted on August 19, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.