Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Port Clinton in Ottawa County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Fort Sites / De Lery Portage / French Expedition 1754

 
 
Fort Sites Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, April 8, 2009
1. Fort Sites Marker
Inscription.  
South face:
Fort Sites
Fort Sites Here near the peninsula carrying place where earlier British traders may have had a post, French soldiers built in 1750 and 1751 a small palisaded fort later called "Sandoski." Lt. deLery reported that the fort was in ruins by 1754.

In September, 1764, British soldiers under the command of Colonel John Bradstreet. While attempting to quell the Indians during Pontiac's Conspiracy. Began to construct a fort 3/4 of a mile west of the old French fort, but work was soon abandoned.

West face:
De Lery Portage

Near this point was the southern terminus of a French and Indian portage by which travelers crossed the peninsula to the mouth of the Portage River and Lake Erie.

The portage is named after French Lt. Joseph G. Chaussegros de Lery who described it in his journal and who used the crossing in 1754 and 1755 on his way to and from Detroit.

French and Indians traveling by canoe along the south shore of Lake Erie, to or from the Sandusky – Scioto Waterway, or between Fort Duquesne
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
and Detroit, used this carrying place to avoid the more dangerous water route around the Peninsula.

French Expedition 1754
Across the Delery Portage
From Quebec to Detroit and Michilimaquinakas noted in the journal of the chevalier Shaussecros de Lery which on August 4 1754 landed near this spot "and discovered the ruins of the old fort."
Fort Sanduski 1745 - 1746, 1750-1751
Adjutant of Quebec Commanding, 1
Monsieur St. Martin, Acting Major
Monsieur Lery
Monsieur St. Ours, Lieutenants 3
Monsieur Rigauville
Monsieur Desmeloises
Monsieur Porneuf
Monsiuer Cournover, Ensigns 4
Father Bonnecamp, Jesuit of the Missions Estrangeres, 1
Monsieur Mauviles
Monsieur Vigee
Monsieur Garon, Surgeons 3
Monsieur LaForge, Storekeeper 1
Monsieur Constant an Old Interpreter, 1
27 canoes each carrying 10 men, 270/285

 
Erected 1965 by Ottawa County Historical Society and the Ohio Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ExplorationMilitaryNative AmericansWar, French and IndianWars, US Indian. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1764.
 
Location. 41° 29.207′ N, 82° 56.027′ 
Fort Sites / De Lery Portage / French Expedition 1754 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, October 10, 2020
2. Fort Sites / De Lery Portage / French Expedition 1754 Marker
Front side
W. Marker is near Port Clinton, Ohio, in Ottawa County. Marker is on Fulton Street, 0 miles south of Rohde Drive, on the left when traveling south. This historical marker is located just south of Port Clinton, Ohio, at the southern most end of Fulton Street, just off the northern shoreline of Sandusky Bay. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1985 Fulton St, Port Clinton OH 43452, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old French War - Pontiac's Conspiracy - Revolutionary War / French Expedition, 1754 (here, next to this marker); Battle Of Bataan War Memorial (approx. 1.6 miles away); Veterans Memorial Bench (approx. 1.6 miles away); a different marker also named Veterans Memorial Bench (approx. 1.6 miles away); Ottawa County Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.6 miles away); Ottawa County Courthouse (approx. 1.6 miles away); Japanese Type 38 "I" Improved Field Gun (approx. 1.6 miles away); End of Harrison's Trail in Ohio - War of 1812 (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Clinton.
 
More about this marker. Please note this monument has a plaque on all four sides, but only two are listed here. Normally, the Historical Marker database would publish all four markers on this monument as one entry with text from all markers included. Due to the separate erecting organizations and dedication
De Lery Portage Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, April 8, 2009
3. De Lery Portage Marker
View of the historical marker with the north shoreline of .Sandusky Bay in the background
years, it was determined this could be published as an exception to that standard.
 
Regarding Fort Sites / De Lery Portage / French Expedition 1754. It appears from the 1912 book, Old Fort Sandoski and the De Lery portage, by Lucy Elliot Keeler (see link below), these markers replaced two original markers. Some confusion appears to exist as to what markers were originally place on this monument, originally title the Fort Sandoski monument, and another similar monument erected two miles away titled the Harrison-Perry Embarkation Monument. Any additional information that could clarify the locations and original markers on these two monuments would be helpful and appreciated.
 
Also see . . .
1. French and Indian War. Ohio History Central website entry (Submitted on July 4, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.) 

2. Fort Sandusky. Ohio History Central website entry (Submitted on July 4, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.) 

3. Pontiac's Rebellion. Ohio History Central website entry (Submitted on July 4, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.) 

4. Old Fort Sandoski and the De Lery portage. Internet Archive website entry:
This book, by Lucy Elliot Keeler, published in 1912, highlights the "Erection of Historical Tablets on Memorial Day, May 30, 1912 at Port Clinton, OH." (Submitted on July 10, 2009, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.) 
 
Fort Sites / De Lery Portage Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, October 10, 2020
4. Fort Sites / De Lery Portage Marker
Fort Sites / De Lery Portage Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, April 8, 2009
5. Fort Sites / De Lery Portage Marker
View of west and south faces of this historical marker (left foreground), with lakefront residences behind the marker and the north shoreline of Sandusky Bay in the background.
Fort Sites / De Lery Portage Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, April 8, 2009
6. Fort Sites / De Lery Portage Marker
View of historic marker that marks the southern end of the De Lery Portage, in the right foreground, with a view of Fulton Street (built atop De Lery Portage) looking north towards the northern end of the De Lery Portage.
Fort Sites / De Lery Portage Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, April 8, 2009
7. Fort Sites / De Lery Portage Marker
View looking south towards Sandusky Bay, of the small boat landing located at the southern end of the De Lery Portage, a short distance away from the historic marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 14, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 4, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,796 times since then and 187 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on July 4, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.   2. submitted on January 28, 2021, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio.   3. submitted on July 4, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.   4. submitted on November 3, 2020, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio.   5. submitted on July 4, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.   6, 7. submitted on January 23, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=20524

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from qualified purchases you make on Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Dec. 8, 2023