Waseca in Waseca County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Trowbridge Park Bandstand
The bandstand, erected and dedicated in 1915, stands in memory of Ira C. Trowbridge, founder of Waseca. Ella Ward and Augusta Jenkins, his daughters, provided funds to build the bandstand in Trowbridge Park (formerly City Park) as a memorial to their father and to further the cultural activities of the city. The 28’ by 20’ bandstand, costing about $1,500, is built of stuccoed concrete and absolutely fireproof. The design is distinctive with a band platform enclosed by high, solid walls and a tin roof cast to resemble clay tiles. The basement was divided into toilet rooms, a storeroom, and a confectionery stand.
The park and bandstand were initially popular gathering places on Sunday nights. As technology advanced, however, residents often chose to listen to music on the radio at home or attend “juke joints” around Clear Lake. By the 1950’s the bandstand was rarely used and began to fall into decline.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Entertainment • Parks & Recreational Areas • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1915.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 408 North State Street, Waseca MN 56093, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Also see . . .
1. Trowbridge Park Band Shell.
In 1866, Mr. Trowbridge came to Wilton, Minnesota to investigate the railroad being surveyed. It is related, that he met with chief railroad engineer W.G. Ward and surveyor J.H. Jenkins and convinced these men that the ideal layout for the railroad was just south of Clear Lake and Loon Lake. He then purchased the surrounding land starting with Jacob Myer’s farm which was just north of the proposed railroad tracks, with the vision of starting a town. In 1867, Mr. Trowbridge moved his family to Minnesota and had Mr. Jenkins plat the town of Waseca on July 22, 1867. The town grew simultaneously with the railroad tracks being laid, with over 100 homes, stores, and buildings by the end of December 1867. Therefore, the City of Waseca was born with Ira C. Trowbridge as its(Submitted on September 16, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Trowbridge Park Band Shell (October 2009).
The band shell or grandstand in what was called at the time, City Park, Waseca, Minn., now Trowbridge Park was built in honor of Ira Trowbridge, one of Waseca's founders. The band shell is located off the northeast corner of the current Public Library building. The outside walls are stuccoed concrete and appear to be original. They have been painted, but we do not know what the original color of the structure was other then “light colored” or possibly “concrete colored.”(Submitted on September 16, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 16, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 16, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 152 times since then and 93 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 16, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.