Near Triangle in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Prince William County / Stafford County
Stafford County was formed in 1664 from Westmoreland County and was part of the Northern Neck Proprietary of Lord Fairfax. It was named for Staffordshire, England. The county seat was located at Stafford in 1780; previously it had been at Marlborough Point. During the Civil War, the Union Army of the Potomac’s more than 100,000 troops camped in the county during the winter of 1862-1863. Aquia Church, a National Historic Landmark, and the childhood home sites of George Washington and George Mason are located here.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Notable Buildings • Notable Events • Political Subdivisions • War, US Civil.
Location. 38° 31.317′ N, 77° 21.548′ W. Marker is near Triangle, Virginia, in Prince William County. Marker is on Jefferson Davis Highway (U.S. Rt 1) 0.1 miles south of Russell Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stafford VA 22554, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gracias (approx. 0.8 miles away); Nolan H. Gray Reservoir (approx. 1.2 miles away); Fourth Marine Division Association Memorial (approx. 1.3 miles away); The ‘Striking Sixth’ Memorial (approx. 1.3 miles away); Edson's Raiders (approx. 1.3 miles away); U.S. Servicemen and Women Held Prisoner by Terrorists Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away); Commonwealth of Virginia Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away); Purple Heart Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away).
More about this marker. The Marker identifies Prince William County on its south face, and Stafford County on its north face.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 24, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,253 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 24, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.