Leesburg in Loudoun County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Ballís Bluff National Cemetery
The majority of Confederate dead were removed to Leesburg. Most of the fallen Union soldiers found on or near the battlefield were temporarily buried in shallow mass graves between the current cemetery and the Clinton Hatcher marker just to the west. Some of the dead from both sides were shipped to their homes for burial.
In the fall of 1865, Governor Andrew Curtin sought to have Pennsylvaniaís dead removed and returned home. Individual remains could not be identified four years after the battle, so the U.S. Army decided to establish a cemetery here for the Union dead. Work was completed on December 18, 1865.
October 21, 1861: Battle of Ballís Bluff
October 22, 1861: Under a flag of truce, a Union Burial detail inters 47 bodies and marks approximately 20 more that were later buried by the Confederates.
Spring 1862: Examination of field by Union authorities and temporary reinterment in mass graves.
Fall 1865: Authorization of national cemetery and beginning of permanent reinterments.
December 18, 1865: Completion of Ballís Bluff National Cemetery.
February 1871: Construction of first stone wall to replace picket fence.
September 1901: Construction of current stone wall.
August 1984: Cemetery and battlefield designated National Historic Landmark.
June 1986: Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority assumes ownership of battlefield immediately surrounding cemetery.
(Sidebar Quote): “Sir, I concur in this petition concerning the cemetery at Ballís Bluff, Virginia so far as to hope that there will be no abandonment of what is there or has been done. As a local point of patriotic and romantic historical interest, it seems to me salient enough to deserve to be retained.”
Funds for this project were donated by the Loudoun County Civil War Round Table.
Erected by Ballís Bluff Regional Park/Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Cemeteries marker series.
Location. 39° 7.908′ N, 77° 31.65′ W. Marker is in Leesburg, Virginia, in Loudoun County. Marker can be reached from Ballís Bluff Road, on the left when traveling east. Located next to the stone wall enclosure for the Ballís Bluff National Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Leesburg VA 20175, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 12 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ballís Bluff Battlefield and National Cemetery (here, next to this marker); Edward D. Baker (here, next to this marker); 1st California Regiment (a few steps from this marker); The North: Union Leaders at Ball's Bluff (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Ballís Bluff, October 21, 1861 The South: Confederate Leaders at Ballís Bluff (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Clinton Lovett Hatcher (within shouting distance of this marker); Clinton Hatcher (within shouting distance of this marker); 20th Massachusetts Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); 42nd New York Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Union Artillery (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); 18th Mississippi Infantry (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leesburg.
More about this marker. The marker has a “View of cemetery from site where Baker fell, Early 1900s,” which shows the stone wall enclosure.
The “Bivouac of the Dead” plaque next to this marker a standard type placed at most National Cemeteries.
Regarding Ballís Bluff National Cemetery. This marker is one of a set along the Balls Bluff Battlefield walking trail. See the Balls Bluff Virtual Tour by Markers link below for details on each stop.
Also see . . .
1. Ballís Bluff National Cemetery. (Submitted on August 31, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Balls Bluff Battlefield Virtual Tour by Marker. Over twenty markers detail the action at Balls Bluff and related sites. Please use the Click to map all markers shown on this page option at the bottom of the page to view a map of the marker locations. The hybrid view offers an excellent overlook of the park. (Submitted on November 11, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
3. Soldier's marker without memory. by Arthur Hirsch, The Baltimore Sun, May 29, 2006. Discusses the cemetery and James Allen. (Submitted on April 19, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
4. National Register Nomination Form. Ball's Bluff National Cemetery (Submitted on April 19, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
5. In Our Backyard: Ball's Bluff National Cemetery. Article by Jim Morgan in Leesburg Today, Tuesday, November 11, 2008. (Submitted on April 27, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
1. 54 Bodies; 25 Graves
The cemetery plaque indicates that there are 54 bodies buried here. But there are only 25 graves. Forty seven bodies were buried under a flag of truce after the battle in 1861 but when the cemetery was constructed in 1865 the bodies had been scattered about
— Submitted April 27, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.
Topics. This marker is included in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, US Civil
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 31, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,021 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 1, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 2. submitted on August 31, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3. submitted on September 2, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 4, 5. submitted on August 31, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on April 19, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.