Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Your search returned just this marker . . .
Near Markham in Fauquier County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Hollow

 
 
The Hollow Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 31, 2009
1. The Hollow Marker
Inscription.  In 1765, John Marshall, then nine, moved with his family from his birthplace 30 miles southeast to a small, newly constructed frame house one-quarter mile east known as The Hollow. The house built by his father, Thomas Marshall, was his home until 1773, when the family moved five miles east to Oak Hill. After the American Revolution began, Thomas Marshall and his sons, John Marshall, James Markham Marshall, and Thomas Marshall Jr. fought in numerous Revolutionary War battles including Great Bridge and Yorktown. John Marshall later served as chief justice of the United States Supreme Court from 1801 to 1835.
 
Erected 1998 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number FF-12.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary.
 
Location. 38° 54.54′ N, 77° 59.871′ W. Marker is near Markham, Virginia, in Fauquier County. Marker is on Leeds Manor Road (County Route 688) just north of Exit 18 (Interstate 66), on the
The Hollow Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 31, 2009
2. The Hollow Marker
The Interstate 66 overpass is in the distance with the intersection with Route 55 just beyond.
right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Markham VA 22643, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brig. Gen. Turner Ashby, C.S.A. (approx. ¼ mile away); Lee’s Bivouac, Gettysburg Campaign (approx. ¼ mile away); John Marshall's Leeds Manor Rural Historic District (approx. 3 miles away); Death of 2d Lt. James “Big Yankee” Ames (approx. 4 miles away); In Memory of Officers of the C.S.A. (approx. 4.1 miles away); Delaplane (approx. 4.1 miles away); Piedmont Station (approx. 4.2 miles away); Discovery Shenandoah Valley (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Markham.
 
Also see . . .  Friends of the Hollow, Inc. “The Hollow House was built prior to Thomas Marshall’s 1765 move with his family from his first Fauquier County, Virginia home in the Germantown community near Midland. Our recently-commissioned dendrochronological (tree ring) analysis of the red and white oak timbers used to construct The Hollow revealed that they were felled after the 1763 growing season but before the 1764 season. The timbers were also growing at a slow rate of approximately 30-40 years per inch of radius, as virgin trees in old-growth forest.” (Submitted on November 1, 2009.) 
 
The Hollow (1763 or 64) image. Click for full size.
By PaulwC3, April 1, 2013
3. The Hollow (1763 or 64)
The recently restored boyhood home of John Marshall is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (2004) and is located within the John Marshall Leeds Manor Rural Historic District.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 25, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 31, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,169 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 31, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.   3. submitted on April 1, 2013, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 28, 2021