“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Campobello in Charlotte County, New Brunswick — The Atlantic Provinces (North America)

Campobello's Resort Hotels

Campobello's Resort Hotels Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, July 18, 2009
1. Campobello's Resort Hotels Marker
In 1881, a group of American businessmen (called themselves the Campobello Company) purchased most of Campobello Island. In an era of summer-long vacations and great summer resorts, the company hoped, by promoting Campobello's charms, to attract, well-to-do people with extensive leisure time to its hotels. Both the Canadian and American press promoted Campobello as a summer resort.

Built in 1881 on the northern end of Friar's Bay, the Owen was the first and most luxurious of the company's three hotels and could accommodate 400 guests. It was followed by the Tyn-y-Coed (Welsh for house in the woods) in 1882. An Owen brochure noted, "You can hardly tell where your friends are staying. If they breakfast at the Owen, they dine at the Tyn-y-Coed. On the Owen grounds were a casino with a spacious ball room and excellent dancing floor. A steamer and wagonette ran regularly between them, and calls (visits to friends) can be made and returned the same day."

The Company built its third hotel, the Tyn-y-Maes (house in the field), in 1883.

A former Tyn-y-Coed bellboy recalled: "There was enough of entertainment,
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
even then, with the island for a base, to take up one's whole time....Each day had its thrills and new experiences. There was the driving about the circled roadways in traps and buckboards; billiards and bowling; games (tennis, croquet) on the lawn. Of course fishing, boating and bathing predominated. The (Passamaquoddy) Indians came from their reservation and sailed our guests in their birches (canoes)....One could sit for hours watching the changes of the sea, the fishing craft, a school of fish, the plying of boats..."

Inside the hotels, guests enjoyed billiards, card parties, sewing and embroidery, plays, musical presentations, reading, and socializing with other quests. On the hotel's grounds, guests took leisurely strolls, played tennis, bowled at the Tyn-y-Coed's alleys, and played golf on the small nine-hole course shared with the summer cottage owners.

Campobello's hotel era lasted about thirty years. The Tyn-y-Coed and Tyn-y=Maes hotels are believed to have closed after the 1907 season. the Owen, which closed and later reopened under new owners as The Inn, closed just before or after 1917; it was torn down before 1920.

James and Sara Roosevelt and their one-year-old Franklin stayed at the Tyn-y-Coed in 1883. They enjoyed their vacation so much that they purchased land a=on which to build a summer home.
Topics. This historical marker is
One of the permanent dwelling which is part of the park. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, July 18, 2009
2. One of the permanent dwelling which is part of the park.
listed in these topic lists: EntertainmentIndustry & CommerceParks & Recreational Areas. A significant historical year for this entry is 1881.
Location. 44° 52.598′ N, 66° 57.518′ W. Marker is in Campobello, New Brunswick, in Charlotte County. Marker can be reached from New Brunswick Route 774. The marker stands in Campobello International Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Campobello NB ESE 1A4, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. James and Sara Roosevelt Cottage (here, next to this marker); Summer Activities (here, next to this marker); The Summer Colony (here, next to this marker); President Franklin Delano Roosevelt (within shouting distance of this marker); Roosevelt Campobello Park (about 210 meters away, measured in a direct line); Roosevelt Campobello International Park (approx. one kilometer away); Mulholland Point / La Pointe Mulholland (approx. one kilometer away); Passamaquoddy Tidal Power Project (approx. one kilometer away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Campobello.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 15, 2024. It was originally submitted on December 13, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,885 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 13, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 27, 2024