Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Erected in the year 1841 by Conte Alphonse Dubois de Saligny, Charge D’Affaires for King Louis Philippe of France, to the Texas Republic. He lived here 1841-1842.
House constructed of Bastrop pine, in Louisiana Bayou style.
Furnishings include several pieces once owned by Saligny.
Purchased by State of Texas in 1945. Placed in custody of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas, who restored the house and maintain the property.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Commission. (Marker Number 14828.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1841.
Location. 30° 16.038′ N, 97° 43.903′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker can be reached from San Marcos Street south of East 9th Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 802 San Marcos Street, Austin TX 78701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. French Embassy (within shouting distance of this marker); Ebenezer (Third) Baptist ChurchMetropolitan African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Victory Grill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stuart Female Seminary (approx. ¼ mile away); Randerson-Lundell Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Robert Crudup (approx. 0.3 miles away); Robert Potter (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 20, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 807 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 20, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.