Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Georgetown in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Amos-Godbey House

 
 
Amos-Godbey House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson
1. Amos-Godbey House Marker
Inscription.  Built in 1909 by the C.S. Belford Lumber company, this was originally the home of Southwestern University German professor Martin C. Amos (d. 1911) and his family. It was later purchased by another member of the university faculty, chemistry professor John Campbell Godbey, who lived here until 1965. Features of the home include a gambrel roof and three-bay inset front porch with stone piers.
 
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1909.
 
Location. 30° 37.863′ N, 97° 40.033′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on Olive Street near 15th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1408 Olive St, Georgetown TX 78626, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Judge Harry N. Graves (within shouting distance of this marker); Easley Home (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Southwestern University Main Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Woman’s Club of Georgetown (approx.
Amos-Godbey House image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, December 27, 2009
2. Amos-Godbey House
Click or scan to see
this page online
0.2 miles away); Southwestern University (approx. 0.2 miles away); W.C. Vaden House (approx. ¼ mile away); Burcham House (approx. 0.3 miles away); G.W. Riley House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 4, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,071 times since then and 15 times this year. Last updated on December 28, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. Photos:   1. submitted on September 4, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.   2. submitted on December 28, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=25951

Paid Advertisement
Oct. 18, 2021