Monroe in Monroe County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Historic River Raisin
The stream here was the center of a sturdy French – American settlement which took form 1780 – 86.
In the period of controversy after the War of Independence and until 1794 British – Canadian authorities sought to establish the River Raisin as the international boundary and thus to retain possession of Michigan and control of the Great Lakes.
Indians called the stream “Numasepee,” or River of Sturgeon. French settlers changed the name to “Riviere aux Raisins” which means River of Grapes. Early records tell of great masses of wild grapes which festooned the trees along its banks.
Erected by Monroe County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812.
Location. 41° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Monroe MI 48162, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Monroe Street Bridge (a few steps from this marker); George Armstrong Custer (within shouting distance of this marker); General George A. Custer (within shouting distance of this marker); Major-General George Armstrong Custer (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First American Flag (about 300 feet away); Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (about 400 feet away); Historic Crossroad (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monroe.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 28, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,337 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 28, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.