Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Results contain just this marker . . .
Columbus in Colorado County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Robson's Castle and Columbus, Texas, Meat and Ice Company

 
 
Robson's Castle and Columbus, Texas, Meat and Ice Company Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Gregory Walker, February 5, 2010
1. Robson's Castle and Columbus, Texas, Meat and Ice Company Marker
Inscription.  Robert Robson (1804-1878), one of many Scotsmen seeking fortune in North America, came to the Texas Republic in 1839. On land he owned at this site, he built a concrete "castle," using native lime and gravel. It had running water, pumped from the Colorado into a tank on the roof, then through wooden pipes to its many rooms. It also had a roof garden and an encircling moat, with drawbridge. From Bastrop to Matagorda, it drew guests to Champagne suppers, card parties, and balls. Undermined by an 1869 flood, it became a ruin and was razed when site was put to new use in 1880s.

Columbus, Texas, Meat & Ice Company built its 3-story plant on this site in 1884. It was then one of three packing houses in Texas. Established to process at place of origin, the plant could handle 125 cattle a day. Some of its beef went to Queen Victoria's London. Robert E. Stafford (1834-1890), a wealthy trail driver and rancher, veteran of Civil War service with famous Hood's Texas Brigade, owner of a private bank and extensive Colorado County properties, was president, and major stockholder in the packing house. In the early 1890s, after Stafford died, the plant
Robson's Castle marker location. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Gregory Walker, February 5, 2010
2. Robson's Castle marker location.
Click or scan to see
this page online
closed.
 
Erected 1971 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4310.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesIndustry & CommerceNotable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1839.
 
Location. 29° 42.716′ N, 96° 32.818′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Texas, in Colorado County. Marker is at the intersection of Business State Highway 71 and Robson, on the right when traveling north on State Highway 71Business . On the south side of the Colorado River and east side of the bridge. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus TX 78934, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Keith-Traylor House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Maigne - Walther House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Dick-Gillette House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Simpson - Williamson House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Home of William Christian Papenberg (approx. 0.4 miles away); Columbus Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Youens-Hopkins House (approx. 0.4 miles away); George W. Smith (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 7, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 2,141 times since then and 173 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 7, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=28325

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 7, 2022