Napoleon in Henry County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Henry County Courthouse
Henry County was organized in 1834 and Napoleon became the county seat in 1835. The first Court was held in a two-story log cabin located at the corner of Perry and Front Streets.
The first Courthouse was a plain two-story structure costing $2,000. It was constructed in 1844 and destroyed by fire in 1847, with all records lost.
The second Courthouse was of brick, in the Federal Style. It was built in 1849-50 on the present site for $7,495. In 1879 the Courthouse, along with twenty-two other buildings, were destroyed in the "Dutch Row" fire. Records were saved.
Architect David Gibbs designed the present Courthouse in the Empire Style. It was built of limestone and locally made brick at a cost of $95,000. The cornerstone was laid on July 10, 1880, and the building was completed in 1882. The fifteen foot 'Goddess of Justice' tops the clock tower. Names of the 1880 county commissioners Charles Horning, Daniel Yarnell, and Rueben Reiter are cast on the tower bell.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
Erected by The Napoleon Heritage Society
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Ohio, Napoleon Heritage Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1849.
Location. 41° 23.443′ N, 84° 7.467′ W. Marker is in Napoleon, Ohio, in Henry County. Marker is on North Perry Street (Ohio Route 108) south of East Washington Street, on the right when traveling north. This historical marker is located in downtown Napoleon, Ohio, just southwest of the Henry County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Napoleon OH 43545, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 615 North Perry (a few steps from this marker); 613 North Perry (a few steps from this marker); 102 East Washington (within shouting distance of this marker); 611 North Perry (within shouting distance of this marker); 606 North Perry (within shouting distance of this marker); 701 North Perry (within shouting distance of this marker); 107-109-111-113-115 West Washington (within shouting distance of this marker); 105 West Main (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Napoleon.
Also see . . . A video of the removal of Lady Justice from the Henry County Courthouse for restoration. (Submitted on November 23, 2020, by TeamOHE of Napoleon, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 10, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,105 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 10, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 7. submitted on November 23, 2020, by TeamOHE of Napoleon, Ohio. 8, 9, 10. submitted on November 11, 2021, by TeamOHE of Napoleon, Ohio. 11. submitted on November 14, 2021, by TeamOHE of Napoleon, Ohio.