Lufkin in Angelina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Calder (Cotton) Square
City's hub, 1882-early 1900s, teeming with cotton buying, horse trades, band concerts, political rallies, switching railroad trains. Site of fire station, standpipe, 1933 memorial library named for lumberman J. H. Kurth (1857-1930), square was renamed 1961 for Kurth family friend, Louis Calder (1879-1963) of New York.
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Commission. (Marker Number 6984.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1933.
Location. 31° 20.352′ N, 94° 43.778′ W. Marker is in Lufkin, Texas, in Angelina County. Marker is on Cotton Square near Lufkin Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 Cotton Square, Lufkin TX 75901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Rehearsal Hall for The Hoo Hoo Band (within shouting distance of this marker); Kerr's Inc. (within shouting distance of this marker); The Depot Explosion and Mystery (within shouting distance of this marker); KRBA-AM Radio Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Lufkin Telephone Exchange (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Lufkin (approx. ¼ mile away); Angelina County (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of Martin Wagon Company (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lufkin.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 27, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,385 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 27, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.