New Paltz in Ulster County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
New Paltz Patentees
The New Paltz Patentees, who, driven by religious persecution from their native France, exiles for conscience’ sake, came to America, after a sojourn in the Rhine Palatinate near Manheim, here established their homes on the banks of the Wallkill, settled the country purchased from the Indians and granted by Patent issued by Governor Edmond Andros on the 29th Day of September, 1677, and nobly bore their part in the creation of our free government.
The Huguenot, Patriotic Historical and Monumental Association of New Paltz erects this Monument, the 29th day of September, 1908.
Erected 1908 by the Huguenot, Patriotic Historical and Monumental Association of New Paltz.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Civil Rights • Colonial Era • Government & Politics • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1677.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 65 Huguenot Street, New Paltz NY 12561, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. New Paltz (here, next to this marker); Jean Hasbrouck House (a few steps from this marker); Walloon Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Deyo House (within shouting distance of this marker); Dubois House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 1799 House (about 300 feet away); Bevier House (about 400 feet away); Stone Church-1773 (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Paltz.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 3, 2010, by Clifton Patrick of Chester, NY, United States. This page has been viewed 1,468 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 3, 2010, by Clifton Patrick of Chester, NY, United States. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.