Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Official Newspaper of the Cuban Revolutionary Party
— 1887 – 1898 —
“Cuba” was the successor of “El Crítico De Ybor City.” Its editor was Ramon Rivero y Rivero, a great revolutionist.
In 1891 Rivero collaborated with José Martí in drafting the Basis for the Cuban Revolutionary Party.
Erected 1961 by The Oliva Tobacco Co. (through a project of the Ybor City Rotary Club).
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Government & Politics • Hispanic Americans • Patriots & Patriotism.
Location. 27° 57.656′ N, 82° 26.695′ W. Marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker is on East 8th Avenue west of Avenida República de Cuba (North 14th Street), on the right when traveling east. Marker stands in front of the outdoor courtyard of the New World Brewery, a brewery and bar within the Ybor City Historic District (a National Historic Landmark District).
The Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1313 East 8th Avenue, Tampa FL 33605, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ybor City's First Fire Station (a few steps from this marker); La Casa de Pedroso (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named La Casa de Pedroso (within shouting distance of this marker); Antonio Maceo Grajales (within shouting distance of this marker); Jose Marti (within shouting distance of this marker); El Chino — Pajarito Restaurant (within shouting distance of this marker); La Liga Patriotica de Instruccion (within shouting distance of this marker); Cradle of Cuban Liberty (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tampa.
More about this marker. The marker is capped with the emblem of the Ybor City Rotary Club, which features the flags of the USA, Cuba, and historical variants of the flags of Italy and Spain, the steamship Hutchinson, and a cigar.
Regarding “Cuba”. Cuba and El Critico de Ybor City were among numerous short-lived Spanish-language newspapers to be published in the factory town of Ybor City. The papers suffered from a lack of sponsors and subscribers, since most of Ybor City's population followed the news through the "Lectores", who daily read to cigar workers over loudspeaker in Ybor's factories.
Ramon Rivero by 1897 published three editions of Cuba weekly. The paper left him in debt, but reportedly he kept it going out of sheer patriotism.
(Source: Tinajero, Araceli. Grasberg, Judith E. "El Lector: A History of the Cigar Factory Reader", pg. 96-97. University of Texas Press, 2010.)
Additional keywords. Ybor City Historic District, Partido Revolucionario Cubano
Credits. This page was last revised on November 10, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 16, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,615 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 16, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.