San Juan Pueblo (Ohkay Owingeh) in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
On the Camino Real
Governor Juan de Oņate set up his headquarters in San Juan Pueblo in 1598, but by 1601 he had moved the Spanish capital across the Rio Grande to Yuque-Yunque Pueblo. Named San Gabriel, it served as the seat of government until 1610, when Oņate's successor founded a new capital at Santa Fe.
Erected by Board of Tourism, Division of Highways, Historic Preservation, State of New Mexico.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the El Camino Real de Tierra Adentro series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1598.
Location. 36° 3.017′ N, 106° 3.611′ W. Marker is in San Juan Pueblo (Ohkay Owingeh), New Mexico, in Rio Arriba County. Marker is on State Road 68, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Alcalde NM 87511, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Esther Martinez - Poe Tsáwäˀ (1912-2006) (here, next to this marker); Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes Dominguez Escalante Trail (approx. 2.4 miles away); Espaņola Valley (approx. 2.9 miles away); Chimayo Trading Post / Trujillo House (approx. 4.1 miles away); Santa Cruz de la Caņada / Santa Cruz Plaza on the Camino Real (approx. 4.2 miles away); The Bond House (approx. 4.3 miles away); Historic Los Luceros (approx. 4― miles away).
Regarding San Gabriel. Yuque-Ynque Pueblo/San Gabriel no longer exists. Its adobe remains are visible on aerial photos.
One must study every history and people of this area, indeed the puebloan Southwest, to understand why Oņate's insertion of his settlers into Ohkay Owingeh sowed the seeds of the 1680 Pueblo Revolt.
The San Gabriel marker is 5.07 miles South of the Oņate Center
State Road 68, Building 854
Alcalde, NM 87511
36.105752N , 106.031762W
The Center is a beautiful historical institution with library, kitchen, document conversion workstation and performance area. The Center's mission is to provide a center of knowledge for all inhabitants of the area, and provide a point of unity for the residents of the Middle Rio Grande Valley.
The Oņate statue at the Center was removed
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Oņate's subjugation of Acoma Pueblo earned him an official hearing in Spain
Also see . . .
1. Onate Memorial Center. Rio Arriba County website entry (Submitted on July 6, 2010, by Chris English of Phoenix, Arizona.)
2. History of New Mexico. Wikipedia website entry (Submitted on July 6, 2010, by Chris English of Phoenix, Arizona.)
3. Onate's Missing Foot. IAIA Chronicle website entry:>br> The statue at the Onate Center reputedly had a foot removed in 1998, the 400th Anniversary of Onate's settlement of New Mexico. Facts of this story are still disputed. It does lead the interested person into the heart of New Mexico's Colonial History (Submitted on July 6, 2010, by Chris English of Phoenix, Arizona.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 3, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 6, 2010, by Chris English of Phoenix, Arizona. This page has been viewed 2,714 times since then and 70 times this year. Last updated on July 11, 2010, by Chris English of Phoenix, Arizona. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14. submitted on July 6, 2010, by Chris English of Phoenix, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.