Omaha in Douglas County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Acting-Governor Cuming designated Omaha as the Capital of Nebraska Territory by convening the First Territorial Legislature in Omaha on January 16, 1855. It met in a small two story brick building donated by the Council Bluffs and Nebraska Ferry Company and located on Ninth Street between Douglas and Farnam facing the Missouri River. It housed the legislature for the sessions of 1855 and 1857.
The second capitol was a handsome brick building 137 by 93 feet. The supreme court, the library and government offices were on the first floor and the legislature and governor on the second. Corinthian columns planned for the building were removed as unsafe after several had collapsed.
In 1869 the Capitol building and grounds were presented by the state to Omaha for use as a school. The building was pronounced unsafe and the first public Omaha High School was erected in its place on Capitol Hill in 1872. The present
Erected by Greater Omaha Historical Society, Historical Land Mark Council. (Marker Number 30.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Buildings • Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society series list.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 41° 15.594′ N, 95° 56.564′ W. Marker was in Omaha, Nebraska, in Douglas County. Marker was at the intersection of Dodge Street (U.S. 6) and North 20th Street, on the right when traveling west on Dodge Street. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 124 North 20th Street, Omaha NE 68102, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Central High School (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Mass in Omaha (about 500 feet away); Trinity Episcopal Cathedral (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Right Reverend & Mrs Robert Harper Clarkson (approx. 0.2 miles away); On The Wings of Angels 9/11 Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); "Among the Valiant" (approx. ¼ mile away); Omaha Centennial (approx. ¼ mile away); Congregation of Israel - 1884 (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Omaha.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
1. Marker removed (temporarily?)
This marker was removed in 2018 as part of an expansion/renovation project at Central High School. A concrete walkway now occupies the grassy area where the marker once stood.
— Submitted May 28, 2019, by Brad Kostelny of Jacksonville, Florida.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 21, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 19, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 958 times since then and 16 times this year. Last updated on July 22, 2010, by Matthew G. Hansen of Lincoln, Nebraska. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 19, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.