Monterey in Monterey County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
House of Four Winds
Built in the late 1830's
by Thomas Oliver Larkin
Traditionally used as an
early Hall of Records
Monterey History & Art Assn.
Courtesy Thomson J. Hudson
Erected by Monterey History and Art Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 36° 35.854′ N, 121° 53.777′ W. Marker is in Monterey, California, in Monterey County. Marker is on Calle Principal 0.1 miles south of Jefferson Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 540 Calle Principal, Monterey CA 93940, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Quarters of General William Tecumseh Sherman (within shouting distance of this marker); Larkin House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Larkin House (within shouting distance of this marker); Chestnut Tree (within shouting Casa Amesti (within shouting distance of this marker); Moon Tree (within shouting distance of this marker); Casa Gutierrez (within shouting distance of this marker); 19th Century Sailing Ship's Anchor (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monterey.
More about this marker. The marker is mounted on a head-height pole directly in front of the building.
Regarding House of Four Winds. The House of Four Winds was registered as California State Historical Landmark Number 353 on October 9, 1939.
Also see . . . House of Four Winds. Historic Monterey's webpage history for the House of Four Winds: This charming house, sometimes called in Spanish La Casa de Los Vientos, acquired its name by the mid-1800s, because it was the first house in Monterey with a weathervane on its hipped roof. Built about 1835, the adobe was originally part of the large piece of property on Calle Principal developed by Thomas O. Larkin. First used as a residence by the Mexican Governor Alvarado, William S. Johnson later designated it as the first State of California Hall of Records for the newly formed County of Monterey. (Submitted on July 27, 2010.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 27, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 776 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 27, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 5, 6. submitted on July 27, 2010. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.