Refugio in Refugio County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Mission Nuestra Señora del Refugio
Originally founded on January 31, 1793, by Fathers José Francisco Garza and Mariano Velasco, Franciscan missionaries, at the junction of the Guadalupe and San Antonio Rivers for the conversion of the Karankawa Indians. Removed to the present location, January 10, 1795.
Erected 1986 by State of Texas.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1867.
Location. 28° 17.642′ N, 97° 16.653′ W. Marker is in Refugio, Texas, in Refugio County. Marker is on West Roca Street near South Alamo Street (Business U.S. 77), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1008 S Alamo Street, Refugio TX 78377, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Our Lady of Refuge Catholic Church (here, next to this marker); Yucatan Soldiers' Burial Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Dennis M. O'Connor Public Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sally Scull (approx. 0.2 miles away); Empresario James Power (approx. Refugio County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Refugio County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Colonel A. M. Hobby/Hobby's 8th Texas Infantry Regiment, C.S.A. (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Refugio.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 20, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 29, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,073 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 29, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. 2. submitted on August 18, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. 3, 4. submitted on July 29, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.