Hillsborough in Orange County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Indians on the Great
Trading Path. Inhabited
ca. 1680 – 1710. Visited
in 1701 by the explorer
John Lawson. ½ mi. E.
Erected 1991 by NC Division of Archives and History. (Marker Number G 33.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 36° 4.324′ N, 79° 5.953′ W. Marker is in Hillsborough, North Carolina, in Orange County. Marker is on S Churton Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is on the south side of the bridge leading to the Hillsborough Historic District. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hillsborough NC 27278, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Paper Mill (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); James Hogg (about 600 feet away); Billy Strayhorn (approx. 0.2 miles away); North Carolina Society of the Cincinnati (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Churton Edmund Fanning (approx. 0.2 miles away); Regulators Hanged (approx. 0.2 miles away); Orange County Courthouse, 1845-1957 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hillsborough.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 1, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 593 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 1, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.