Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lexington in Davidson County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Wm. Rainey Holt

1798-1868

 
 
Wm. Rainey Holt Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, August 2, 2010
1. Wm. Rainey Holt Marker
Inscription.  Physician. Advocate of scientific agriculture. His plantation "Linwood" was 6 miles southwest. Built home here, 1834.
 
Erected 1995 by Division of Archives and History. (Marker Number K-56.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureScience & MedicineSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1834.
 
Location. 35° 49.251′ N, 80° 15.428′ W. Marker is in Lexington, North Carolina, in Davidson County. Marker is on S Main Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located between W 4th and W 5th Avenues. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lexington NC 27292, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Homestead (here, next to this marker); Old Davidson County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lexington in the Civil War (approx. 0.3 miles away); City of Lexington (approx. 0.3 miles away); Captain Benjamin Merrill (approx. 0.3 miles away); Daniel Boone and Gen. Nathanael Greene (approx.
Marker in Lexington image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, August 2, 2010
2. Marker in Lexington
Click or scan to see
this page online
0.3 miles away); Pilgrim Church (approx. 3½ miles away); Jefferson Davis (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington.
 
Marker on S Main Street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, August 2, 2010
3. Marker on S Main Street
The Homestead image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, August 2, 2010
4. The Homestead
Dr. William R. Holt built this Greek Revival house, within sight of the marker, in 1834 as a wedding gift to his second wife, Louisa Hogan Holt. It was used by Union Gen. H. Judson Kilpatrick as his headquarters.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 8, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 637 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 8, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=34193

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 21, 2022