Monticello in Jasper County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site of the Firstt County Court
When Randolph County, now Jasper County, was separated from Baldwin County, Dec. 10, 1807, the Legislature ruled that all courts and other public business in the new county be transacted at the home of John Towns. The historic Towns Home stood on this land lot, to the rear of the Reese house.
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 079-8.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society marker series.
Location. 33° 18.183′ N, 83° 40.783′ W. Marker is in Monticello, Georgia, in Jasper County. Marker is at the intersection of Green Street (Georgia Route 16) and Blue Run Street, on the left when traveling east on Green Street. The marker stands on opposite street of Eatonton Street from the house. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Monticello GA 31064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Inn (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jasper County (approx. ¼ mile away); Jackson Springs (approx. 1½ miles away); The Stoneman Raid (approx. 2.2 miles away); Hebron Baptist Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. 3.9 miles away); The Isaac Parker Inn (approx. 6.6 miles away); Providence Baptist Church (approx. 8.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monticello.
Also see . . . David Addison Reese - Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. (Submitted on August 17, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Topics. This marker is included in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Native Americans • War, US Civil
Credits. This page was last revised on November 16, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 14, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 878 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 14, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.