Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
High Point in Guilford County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Hoggat House

 
 
The Hoggat House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones, June 17, 2021
1. The Hoggat House Marker
Inscription.  
Philip & Mary Hoggat built this house in 1754, 4 miles southwest of here. The Hoggats were among the first Quakers to move to this area. Donated by Mrs. Betty Jo Kellam, the cabin was relocated to this site in 1973 & restored with funds from the Amos family.

The cabin now contains a floor loom and other textile production artifacts of the early 19th century. Craft demonstrations are also conducted here.
 
Erected by High Point Museum.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial EraSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Quakerism series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1754.
 
Location. 35° 58.778′ N, 79° 59.526′ W. Marker is in High Point, North Carolina, in Guilford County. Marker is on East Lexington Avenue near Terrell Drive, on the left when traveling east. Marker is located adjacent to the High Point Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1859 E Lexington Ave, High Point NC 27262, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Oldest Building in High Point (a few steps from this
The Hoggat House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, August 4, 2010
2. The Hoggat House
Click or scan to see
this page online
marker); Oldest Colonial Trail (a few steps from this marker); Quatercentenary Tree (a few steps from this marker); The Blacksmith Shop (a few steps from this marker); The Haley House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Plank Road (within shouting distance of this marker); The Little Red Schoolhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Haley House (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in High Point.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 26, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 641 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on June 19, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.   2. submitted on August 26, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=34929

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 26, 2022