Niagara Falls in Regional Municipality of Niagara, Ontario — Central Canada
Sir Casimir S. Gzowski 1813-1898
Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario
Erected by Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Parks & Recreational Areas • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 43° 5.202′ N, 79° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5208 Niagara Parkway, Niagara Falls, Ontario L2G, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. To the Memory of Burrell Hecock (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Zimmerman Fountain Pond (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Louis Hennepin 1626 - c. 1705 (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Thomas Baker McQuesten (approx. half a kilometer away); Prospect Point Viewing Area (approx. 0.6 kilometers away in the U.S.); Upper Suspension Bridge (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Upper Steel Arch Bridge (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Nikola Tesla (approx. 0.6 kilometers away in the U.S.). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Niagara Falls.
More about this marker. The marker is located in Queen Victoria Park, mounted on a pole next to the pedestrian walkway that follows the Niagara River. The marker is located directly opposite the American Falls.
Also see . . . Sir Casimir S. Gzowski. The Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online's extended treatment of Gzowski: ...Gzowski died on 24 Aug. 1898 after a three-month illness. The Toronto World paid him perhaps the most poetic tribute: "Yesterday morning, just as the terrific thunderstorm had subsided and the morning sun was peeping over the eastern horizon, the spirit of one of Toronto’s most illustrious citizens took flight.” Under glowing headlines the newspapers recounted the saga of his fascinating life. Seen in retrospect, Sir Casimir was above (Submitted on October 21, 2010.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 21, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 701 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 21, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.