Mendota in Dakota County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The First Stone House
[symbol of the D.A.R.]
The first stone house erected in the State
of Minnesota by its first Governor,
Gen. Henry Hastings Sibley.
Secured in 1910 for the St. Paul Chapter,
Daughters of the American Revolution
from St. Peter's Parish of Mendota
— by —
Mrs. Lucy Shepard MacCourt.
Presented to the State Society D.A.R.
April 19, 1910.
Erected 1916 by the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series list.
Location. 44° 53.278′ N, 93° 9.964′ W. Marker is in Mendota, Minnesota, in Dakota County. Marker is on D Street 0.2 miles north of 1st Street / Sibley Memorial Highway (Minnesota Highway 13). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1357 Sibley Memorial Highway, Mendota MN 55150, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Henry Sibley and Old Mendota (a few steps from this marker); Mendota / Sibley House Association (within shouting distance of this marker); Faribault House (within shouting distance of this marker); "Where the Waters Meet" (within shouting distance of this marker); General Henry Hastings Sibley (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sibley House Historic Site (about 400 feet away); St. Peter's Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mendota / Sibley House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mendota.
Also see . . .
1. Sibley House Historic Site. Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on November 6, 2010.)
2. Sibley House Historic Site. Museums of Minnesota. (Submitted on November 6, 2010.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 6, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 897 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 6, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.