Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Hunt in Kerr County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Hunt

 
 
Hunt Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Henderson, November 20, 2010
1. Hunt Marker
Inscription.  Farmers and Ranchers settled along the North and South forks of the Guadalupe River in the late 1850s, forming the Japonica and Pebble Communities. In 1912 Alva and Lizzie Joy bought land at the confluence and named the central settlement that developed there in honor of Robert Hunt, the prior landowner. Alva Joy established a post office in 1913, and an independent school district formed in the 1930s. By the 1930s the area began attracting artist, including the acclaimed E.M. Schiwetz. During the next decades, Hunt became a center for summer camps, exotic game ranches, and religious and corporate retreat facilities, but retained its identity as a small rural community.
 
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13037.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 30° 4.211′ N, 99° 19.971′ W. Marker is in Hunt, Texas, in Kerr County. Marker is on Hwy 39 just east of Hunt, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hunt TX 78024, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Spanish Trail (approx. 10.1 miles away); Great Western Cattle Trail (approx. 11.3 miles away); Doyle Colored School (approx. 11.4 miles away); H-E-B (approx. 11.4 miles away); Barnett Chapel Methodist Church (approx. 11.4 miles away); Early Settlers of Kerr County (approx. 11.7 miles away); Kerr County (approx. 11.7 miles away); James Kerr (approx. 11.7 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2017. It was originally submitted on November 21, 2010, by Steve Henderson of Marble Falls, Texas. This page has been viewed 811 times since then and 47 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on November 21, 2010, by Steve Henderson of Marble Falls, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 9, 2020