Toronto in Toronto County, Ontario — Central Canada
The Lake Light
This lighthouse, one of the earliest on the Great Lakes, was completed in 1808 as an hexagonal tower 52 feet high, topped by a wooden cage with a fixed whale-oil lantern. In 1832 it was raised to 82 feet and later equipped with a revolving light. The mysterious disappearance of its first keeper, J.P. Rademuller, in 1815 and the subsequent discovery nearby of part of a human skeleton enhanced its reputation as a haunted building.
Erected by the Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board.
Erected by Ontario Archaelogical and Historic Site Board.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1808.
Location. 43° 36.818′ N, 79° 23.116′ W. Marker is in Toronto, Ontario, in Toronto County. Marker is on Lakeshore Avenue. Gibraltar Point Lighthouse is located on Centre Island in Toronto Islands Park. It is about a 5 minute walk from the Hanlan's Point ferry terminal, or a 10 minute walk from the Centre Island ferry terminal. Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Andrew By-The-Lake (approx. 1.4 kilometers away); The Royal Canadian Yacht Club (approx. 1.8 kilometers away); Little Norway (approx. 2.6 kilometers away); No. 2 (Centre) Blockhouse (approx. 3.2 kilometers away); The Battle of York 1813 (approx. 3.2 kilometers away); The Bishop’s Palace 1818 (approx. 3.5 kilometers away); The Royal York Hotel (approx. 3.6 kilometers away); Mary Ann Shadd Cary (approx. 4.2 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toronto.
Also see . . . Toronto Islands - Gibraltar Point Lighthouse. The City of Toronto's page for the lighthouse, providing a brief history: " The Island Lighthouse is the oldest landmark in Toronto. From its site on Gibraltar Point, it has watched most of Toronto's history unfold; its light beam has, for more than 150 years, been a welcome guide for the mariner into the Harbour of Toronto...." (Submitted on March 10, 2011.)
Additional keywords. ghosts
Credits. This page was last revised on November 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 9, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 677 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 9, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.