Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Detroit in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Germantown / The Harmonie Club

 
 
Germantown Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By R. C., May 3, 2011
1. Germantown Marker
Inscription.  
Germantown
Fleeing political unrest in their homeland, Germans began arriving in Detroit during the 1830s. Lured by state of Michigan recruiting pamphlets, German musicians, teachers and professionals joined increasing numbers of immigrants in Detroit. By 1880, twenty percent of the city's population was German-born. Most of these immigrants settled in this area, known as Germantown, between the Jefferson and Gratiot Avenue corridors. Many opened shops and businesses ranging from breweries to tailoring shops to tanneries. Harmonie Park, its name associated with the nearby Harmonie Club, was an important center of Germantown. Greek immigrants moved into a part of Germantown that later became known as Greektown.

The Harmonie Club
Detroit's oldest musical association, The Harmonie Society, was founded in 1849 by German immigrants who wished to meet and sing Lieder (German art songs). The society's first building, Harmonie Hall, was constructed in 1874 at the corner of Lafayette Avenue abd Beaubien Street. The hall burned in 1893 and the present Harmonie Club was erected in 1895. Designed
The Harmonie Club Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou
2. The Harmonie Club Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
by German-American architect Richard E. Raseman, the Beaux Arts structure was a Germantown landmark. Although organized and operated by Germans, the club hosted gatherings of peple from many ethnic groups. It became one of Detroit's most prestigious organizations. The Harmonie Club is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Erected 2001 by German American Chamber of Commerce of the Midwest, Michigan Chapter. (Marker Number S0473.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Parks & Recreational AreasSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1880.
 
Location. 42° 20.166′ N, 83° 2.778′ W. Marker is in Detroit, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of East Grand River Avenue and Centre Street, on the left when traveling south on East Grand River Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 267 E Grand River Ave, Detroit MI 48226, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Harmonie Club (here, next to this marker); Music Hall (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Henry the Hatter (about 500 feet away); L. B. King and Company Building (about 600 feet away); Statue of Abraham Lincoln
Located in Beatrice Buck’s Paradise Valley Park. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou
3. Located in Beatrice Buck’s Paradise Valley Park.
(about 700 feet away); Parker's Alley (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Mary's School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Vernor's Ginger Ale (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Detroit.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 9, 2011, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 695 times since then and 122 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on May 9, 2011, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey.   2, 3. submitted on May 3, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=42263

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 12, 2022