Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Egyptian Building

Medical College of Virginia

 

— 1844 - 1845 —

 
Egyptian Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, May 23, 2011
1. Egyptian Building Marker
Inscription.  This building in the Egyptian style has been used continuously since its completion in 1845. During the War Between the States it was the chief Southern center for the education of physicians and surgeons.

This tablet is erected by the Alumni Association as a tribute to the able faculty who constructed this first building owned by the institution:
John Cullen, M.D.,
Professor Theory and Practice of Medicine
L. W. Chamberlayne, M.D.,
Professor Therapeutics and Materia Medica
R. L. Bohannan, M.D.,
Professor Obstetrics and Diseases of
Women and Children
Jeffries Wyman, M.D.,
Professor Anatomy and Physiology
Augustus L. Warner, M.D.,
Professor Surgery and Dean of the Faculty
Socrates Maupin, M.D.,
Professor Chemistry and Pharmacy
Carter P. Johnson, M.D.,
Demonstrator of Anatomy

 
Erected 1930 by Alumni Association Medical College of Virginia.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationScience & MedicineWar, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1845.
 
Location.
Egyptian Building Marker (left of entrance) image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, May 23, 2011
2. Egyptian Building Marker (left of entrance)
Click or scan to see
this page online
37° 32.355′ N, 77° 25.771′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker can be reached from the intersection of East Marshall Street and North 13th Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond VA 23298, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Egyptian Building (a few steps from this marker); St. Philip School of Nursing (a few steps from this marker); St. Philip's Way (within shouting distance of this marker); Memorial Terrace (within shouting distance of this marker); The Virginia Convention of 1788 (within shouting distance of this marker); Monumental Church (within shouting distance of this marker); First African Baptist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named First African Baptist Church (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
 
Also see . . .
1. The Egyptian Building. Virginia Commonwealth University, School of Medicine, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (Submitted on May 24, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.) 

2. Egyptian Building (pdf file). National Register of Historic Places (Submitted on May 24, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.) 
 
Egyptian Building image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, May 23, 2011
3. Egyptian Building
Medical College of Virginia, Egyptian Building image. Click for full size.
Wikipedia
4. Medical College of Virginia, Egyptian Building
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 23, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 580 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 23, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.   4. submitted on May 24, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=42672

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2021