North Olmsted in Cuyahoga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
In 1823, Asher and Abigail Coe migrated from Connecticut and settled here. By mid-century the Coe family operated the second largest dairy farm in Ohio. Their home was used as a post office in 1843. The Universalist Church, built in 1847 at Butternut and Lorain, was established largely as a result of Asher Coe's efforts. The present Lorain Road, from Columbia to Butternut, was built as a connecting link between his home and the church. In 1857, Coe donated land for Coe School.
Erected 1978 by North Olmsted Landmarks Commission and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 10-18.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 25.598′ N, 81° 53.708′ W. Marker is in North Olmsted, Ohio, in Cuyahoga County. Marker is at the intersection of Lorain Road (Ohio Route 10) and Columbia Road (Ohio Route 252), on the right when traveling west on Lorain Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 24662 Lorain Road, North Olmsted OH 44070, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Parker Ranch (approx. one mile away); Joseph Peake's Farm (approx. 1.1 miles away); John J. Donnelly (approx. 1.3 miles away); Frostville Post Office / Frostville Museum (approx. 1.4 miles away); Butternut Ridge Cemetery 1835 (approx. 1½ miles away); Springvale Ballroom (approx. 1.7 miles away); First Universalist Church (approx. 1.9 miles away); Jack Miner (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in North Olmsted.
Also see . . . Brief History of North Olmsted OH. (Submitted on June 12, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Churches & Religion • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Coe Ridge.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 12, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 771 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 12, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.