Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Stillwater in Washington County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Washington County Courthouse

 
 
Washington County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, June 11, 2011
1. Washington County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  Minnesota's first courthouse, a three-room frame structure erected at the corner of 4th and Chestnut Street in Stillwater in 1849, had become inadequate by 1866. On November 6 of that year, Washington County voters approved funds for the construction of a new building.

For the magnificent sum of $5, Socrates Nelson, a prominent Stillwater lumberman, and Mrs. Elizabeth M. Churchill offered the city a block of property on "Zion's Hill." By the time ground-breaking ceremonies were held in April, 1867, Augustus F. Knight, St. Paul's first resident architect, had been commissioned to design the building. His unique design reflects the Italianate style then so popular. Constructed of native sandstone faced with red brick, the courthouse features a projecting portico with two tiers of ten rounded arches.

Two local contractors, George M. Seymour and William M. May, supervised the construction which was completed during the winter and spring of 1869-70, despite the seemingly insurmountable difficulty of laying the imported English floor tiles in the correct pattern. The courthouse stands today as "an ornament to the city" and "a
Washington County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, June 11, 2011
2. Washington County Courthouse Marker
credit to the county."

Erected by Minnesota Historical Society
1968
[Seals of the Natural Resources Fund and The Minnesota Historical Society]

 
Erected 1968 by the Minnesota Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Minnesota Historical Society series list.
 
Location. 45° 3.088′ N, 92° 48.458′ W. Marker is in Stillwater, Minnesota, in Washington County. Marker can be reached from Walnut Street West, west of 3rd Street South, on the right when traveling west. Marker is at the courthouse parking lot. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 Pine Street West, Stillwater MN 55082, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Minnesota Territory 1849 – 1858 / Washington County Takes Shape (within shouting distance of this marker); Washington County Public Land Donation (within shouting distance of this marker); Soldiers and Sailors Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Civil War Flank Howitzer (within shouting distance of this marker); Stillwater Veterans Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in
Washington County Courthouse and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, June 11, 2011
3. Washington County Courthouse and Marker
a direct line); Site of the Stillwater High School (about 400 feet away); Smithson Paper Box Company Building (approx. mile away); Simonet's Furniture and Carpet Company Building (approx. mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stillwater.
 
Also see . . .
1. Washington County, MN. Historic Courthouse. (Submitted on June 28, 2011.) 

2. Washington County Courthouse (Minnesota). Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on June 28, 2011.) 
 
Washington County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, June 11, 2011
4. Washington County Courthouse
Washington County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, June 11, 2011
5. Washington County Courthouse
National Register of Historic Places #71000443
Sign image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, June 11, 2011
6. Sign
Washington County Historic Courthouse
Established 1867
Washington County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, June 11, 2011
7. Washington County Courthouse
Visitors Sign image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, June 11, 2011
8. Visitors Sign
Government Center image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, June 11, 2011
9. Government Center
Current Washington County Courthouse
[14949 62nd Street North]
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 28, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 571 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on June 28, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.
Paid Advertisement