Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Council Bluffs in Pottawattamie County, Iowa — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

The Historic General Dodge House

 
 
The Historic General Dodge House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Charles T. Harrell, June 28, 2011
1. The Historic General Dodge House Marker
Inscription.  Built by General Grenville M. Dodge in 1869 and designated a National Historic Landmark by the United States Department of Interior of the National Park Service in 1963. Acquired as a museum through public donations and restored by the Council Bluffs Park Department and the Dodge House Board of Trustees. Council Bluffs Park Commission. J. Frederic Schlott, Charles R. Hannan, Everett L. Shockey.
 
Erected by Council Bluffs Park Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the National Historic Landmarks series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1869.
 
Location. 41° 15.316′ N, 95° 50.882′ W. Marker is in Council Bluffs, Iowa, in Pottawattamie County. Marker is at the intersection of 3rd Street and Story Street, on the right when traveling east on 3rd Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 605 3rd Street, Council Bluffs IA 51503, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The National Humane Alliance Fountain (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grenville M. Dodge (approx. ¼ mile away); Squirrel Cage Jail
General Dodge House image. Click for full size.
By Charles T. Harrell, June 28, 2011
2. General Dodge House
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. ¼ mile away); Council Bluffs Free Public Library (approx. ¼ mile away); Council Bluffs Veterans Plaza (approx. 0.3 miles away); Spanish War Veterans (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mormon Trail (approx. 0.4 miles away); Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Council Bluffs.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
General Dodge House (1869) image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, July 10, 2010
3. General Dodge House (1869)
The 14 room Victorian mansion has been restored by the Council Bluffs Parks Department and Historic General Dodge House Board of Trustees, and is now open as a museum.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 21, 2011, by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 772 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 21, 2011, by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia.   3. submitted on July 20, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=44838

Paid Advertisement
Jul. 25, 2021