Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fairbanks in Fairbanks North Star Borough, Alaska — Northwest
 

Fairbanks Public Schools

 
 
Fairbanks Public Schools Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, July 27, 2010
1. Fairbanks Public Schools Marker
Photo captions; Top: At the end of the 1907-1908 school year, students line up outside the new schoolhouse on Cushman Street for a class picture. Middle right: The Fairbanks Public School was the venue for many community activities, from weekend dances and basketball in the gym, to staging area for outdoor events. Middle left: The Fairbanks Public School eighth grade graduating class of 1910. Bottom: In 1906, Fairbanks students wearing sashes with their names of their home states pose to have their picture taken. Click image to enlarge.
Inscription.  In the winter of 1904, the first Fairbanks Public School was opened. Ten students finished the spring term. In the fall of 1905, the school enrolled 50 students. The next year, 150 students attended. Construction of a much-needed new school on the corner to Turner and Cushman streets between Eighth and Ninth avenues, was started in the last half of October 1907. The school was completed the night before it opened on December 3. Designed by Aloysius Friedrich, it was the pride of the community. The wooden building was used until December 4, 1932, when it was destroyed by fire. In 1934 the Art Deco building known as “Old Main” was built. Its wings were added later. The school served children until 1989, and played an important part in the history of the community and education in Alaska. “Old Main,” which now house City Hall, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Art Deco series list. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1907.
 
Location. 64° 50.53′ N, 147° 
Courthouse Square, formerly "Old Main" image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, July 24, 2010
2. Courthouse Square, formerly "Old Main"
Click or scan to see
this page online
43.235′ W. Marker is in Fairbanks, Alaska, in Fairbanks North Star Borough. Marker is at the intersection of Cushman Street and 4th Avenue on Cushman Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 430 Cushman Street, Fairbanks AK 99701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "The Line" (here, next to this marker); Cushman Street (a few steps from this marker); Barnette's Landing (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lacey Street Theater (1939) (about 700 feet away); The Founding of Fairbanks (approx. 0.2 miles away); Suter House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wickersham Cabin (approx. 0.2 miles away); Immaculate Conception Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fairbanks.
 
Additional keywords. art deco buildings,
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2018. It was originally submitted on September 20, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 649 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 20, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=47407

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jul. 1, 2022