Alexandria in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Fort Willard Park
Fort Willard was constructed at the end of 1862 as Redoubt “D” to Fort Lyon by detachments of the 34th Massachusetts Infantry. It was later named in honor of Colonel George L. Willard, who was killed at Gettysburg on July 2, 1863. Fort Willard was the southernmost fortification in the Defenses of Washington.
Major John Gross Barnard of the Corps of Engineers was in charge of construction of the Washington defenses. Fort Willard was built as lunette with a ditch and parapet facing to the south and open to the rear with no ditch on the north side. Today you can still see the earthen fortifications, cannon platforms and the remains of a bombproof (bomb shelter) and magazine (arms and gunpowder
After the Civil War, the site lay fallow for many years. In the 1930s the Belle Haven subdivision began to be developed and the fort site was reserved in an area that eventually became Fort Willard Circle. The relative isolation of this site within a quiet residential neighborhood has allowed for the archaeological and cultural features at Fort Willard Historic Site to remain relatively undisturbed and only subject to the natural processes of erosion and tree growth.
Regiments garrisoned at Fort Willard included:
• 2nd Connecticut Heavy Artillery
• 10th New York Heavy Artillery
• 1st Wisconsin Heavy Artillery
Erected by Fairfax County Park Authority.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Defenses of Washington series list.
Location. 38° 46.981′ N, 77° 3.959′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker can be reached from Fort Willard Circle. The marker is located at the Fort Willard Historical Site which is owned by the Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6625 Fort Willard Circle, Alexandria VA 22307, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Fort Willard (here, next to this marker); Defenses of Washington (here, next to this marker); Mount Eagle Mansion (approx. half a mile away); Parapet and Gun Platforms (approx. 0.6 miles away); These Trees (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named Defenses of Washington (approx. 0.7 miles away); Historic Jones Point (approx. 0.8 miles away); Colonial Fort (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
More about this marker. The right side of the marker displays three graphics captioned Plan of Fort Willard, U.S. Army, Office of the Quartermaster. Courtesy National Archives & Records Administration, Engineering Drawing of Fort Willard. Courtesy National Archives & Records Administration and Captain Patrick H Ray of the 1st Regiment Wisconsin Heavy Artillery ordered a uniform jacket, reinforced pants, and one set of rank insignia from a military supplier on King Street in Alexandria. Courtesy Wisconsin Historical Society Archives.
Also see . . . Fort Willard Historic Site General Master Plan. .pdf (Submitted on October 8, 2011.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 8, 2011. This page has been viewed 906 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 8, 2011. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.