Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Unitarian Church in Charleston
has been designated a
This Site Possesses National Significance
in Commemorating the History of the
United States of America
National Park Service
United States Department of the Interior
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the National Historic Landmarks, and the Unitarian Universalism (UUism) ⛪ series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1974.
Location. 32° 46.713′ N, 79° 56.072′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Archdale Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6 Archdale Street, Charleston SC 29401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Philip Porcher House (within shouting distance of this marker); St. John's Church (within shouting distance of this marker); First Central Station in South Carolina (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also The Unitarian Church in Charleston (about 400 feet away); Fielding Home for Funerals (about 500 feet away); Quaker Cemetery (about 700 feet away); The Most Reverend Emmet Michael Walsh (about 800 feet away); Riviera Theatre (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
Regarding The Unitarian Church in Charleston. Begun in 1772, the church was gothicized by Francis D. Lee between 1852 and 1854. The building is a good
statement of the emotional mood of the mid-nineteenth century when the romantic and picturesque were
dominant not only in literature but also in building design. Of Gothic Revival design, the church has a crenellated four-story tower and lancet-arched windows. The main entrance is a Tudor arch, while the eighteen paned lancet arched main tower window has a crocketed hood mould. All windows in the west façade have hood moulds. The building is constructed of stuccoed brick and has false masonry buttresses. Lee designed the church’s interior to simulate that of the chapel of Henry VII at Westminster. The architect’s use of compound piers to “support” the ceiling
Landmark November 7, 1973.(South Carolina Department of Archives and History)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 11, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 383 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 11, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.