Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Oregon in Lucas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Johlin Cabin

 
 
The Johlin Cabin Marker image. Click for full size.
By Thomas Cluckey II, November 13, 2011
1. The Johlin Cabin Marker
Inscription.  Pearson Metropark is one of the last remaining pieces of the Great Black Swamp, which once blanketed much of the region.

The Johlin Cabin is a log home built in the swamp in 1867. Originally located about 1.5 miles from here on Corduroy Road between Coy and Lallendorf roads, the 20-by-26-foot home remained in the Johlin family until Frederick Carl Johlin, Sr., donated the structure to Metroparks in 2006. It was moved here to demonstrate what life was like in the notorious swamp.

Log homes were built as permanent structures using hewed logs, a shingle roof, brick chimney, glass windows and a cellar. The Johlin's home not only has all of these characteristics, but also has the mark of their German homeland, such as horizontal clapboarding on the framed gables, a central chimney for a stove, an off-center front door, room partitions and a shingled roof.
 
Erected by Metroparks Toledo Area.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1867.
 
Location. 41° 38.5′ N, 83° 26.333′ W.

The Johlin Cabin at Pearson Park image. Click for full size.
By Thomas Cluckey II, November 13, 2011
2. The Johlin Cabin at Pearson Park
Click or scan to see
this page online
Marker is near Oregon, Ohio, in Lucas County. Marker can be reached from Pearson Park Drive east of Lallendorf Road, on the left when traveling north. 761 Lallendorf Road is where the entrance of the park is located, just north of Navarre Avenue (State Route 2). The marker is located in the interior of the park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oregon OH 43616, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Peter and Robert Navarre (approx. 3.7 miles away); Peter Navarre (approx. 3.7 miles away); James B. Steedman (approx. 4 miles away); Lucas County Medal of Honor Recipients (approx. 4.4 miles away); Lucas County Iraq Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.4 miles away); Lucas County Vietnam Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.4 miles away); Lucas County Korea Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.4 miles away); Lucas County WWII Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.4 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. George W. Pearson Collection - MS 57. This is a link to information provvided by the Bowling Green State University Center for Archival Collections. (Submitted on November 15, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.) 

2. Pearson Metropark. This is a link to information provided by the Metroparks of the Toledo Area. (Submitted on November 15, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.) 

3. Toledo Area Metroparks. Link is of Toledo Area Metroparks with page on Pearson Park. (Submitted on November 16, 2011, by Thomas Cluckey II of Oregon, Ohio.)
Pearson Park Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Thomas Cluckey II, November 13, 2011
3. Pearson Park Plaque
This virgin forest and beautiful play ground bears the name inscribed above because a grateful community appreciates the life time devotion of a great citizen of Toledo to its welfare. For more than forty years GEORGE W. PEARSON, unselfishly and without stint, in gentleness, tolerance, and sweetness of spirit, has given the best of himself in a continuing effort to make his home community a finer place in which to live. His work has been ceasless. His influence for civic betterment, will continue into the years.
 
 
Additional commentary.
1. Pearson Park History
Pearson Metropark was part of the Great Black Swamp, a region once described as the most "forsacken,desolate, and inhospitable" wilderness in America. Today, Pearson is one of the last remnants of the infamous swamp. Pearson's fascinating history, natural attributes and recreational facilities make the 624 acre Metropark of the most heavily used in Lucas County.
Pearson was dedicated August 30, 1934 in honor of George W. Pearson, an East Toledo resident and reporter for The Blade.
Mr. Pearson campaigned for 20 years to save the land that now composes the park, and hundreds of citizens joined the effort. Once known as the Bank Lands because the property was often mortgaged and held by banks as a loan security, the first 280 acres were finally purchased off the auction block with funds from an anonymous donor. The next 40 acres were acquired through fundraising plan called "Living Memorials" with donor plaques placed on trees. In 2006, a group of citizens began another campaign to raise money for a 300 acre addition north of North of Starr Avenue, which will include a historical interpretation area with an 1800's log cabin.

Many of the park's facilities were constructed during the Great Depression by workers of the Works Progress
Winter scene of Pearson Park exercise trail. image. Click for full size.
By Thomas Cluckey II, March 6, 2011
4. Winter scene of Pearson Park exercise trail.
Administration and the Civilian Conversation Corps. Even the man-made ponds,originally dug with pics and shovels. Pearson's natural area is a remnant of the Black Swamp which was once a nearly impassable barrier to travel and settlement area. The dense woodland and soggie ground are to two factors: flatness of the land and heavy clay soils.
INFORMATION FROM TOLEDO AREA METROPARKS FLIER
    — Submitted November 16, 2011, by Thomas Cluckey II of Oregon, Ohio.
 
Pearson Park Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Thomas Cluckey II, November 13, 2011
5. Pearson Park Plaque
Pearson Park Trail image. Click for full size.
By Thomas Cluckey II, March 6, 2011
6. Pearson Park Trail
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 13, 2011, by Thomas Cluckey II of Oregon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 899 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 16, 2011, by Thomas Cluckey II of Oregon, Ohio.   3. submitted on November 13, 2011, by Thomas Cluckey II of Oregon, Ohio.   4. submitted on November 16, 2011, by Thomas Cluckey II of Oregon, Ohio.   5. submitted on November 13, 2011, by Thomas Cluckey II of Oregon, Ohio.   6. submitted on November 16, 2011, by Thomas Cluckey II of Oregon, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=49495

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2021