Booker T. Washington School
For many years, Booker T. Washington School offered instruction only through grade seven, so students traveled to Galveston to complete their education. A brick schoolhouse constructed here in 1946-47 housed grades one through ten. In 1953, a high school building was added to the campus, and African American students could at last complete their high school education in Texas City. Extracurricular activities, including athletic and music programs, were important parts of student life.
With the full integration of Texas City public schools in 1969, Booker T. Washington closed. It remains, however, a significant part of Texas City's 20th-century social and educational history. The campus has continued in use for a variety of community purposes, including facilities for The College of the Mainland in its initial years
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 204.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1915.
Location. 29° 22.92′ N, 94° 54.29′ W. Marker is in Texas City, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is on 2nd Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Between 7th & 8th Streets. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Texas City TX 77590, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The First Texas City Refinery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Texas City Terminal Railway Company (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Texas City Disaster (approx. 0.4 miles away); Propeller of the SS Highflyer (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sociedad Mutualista Mexicana in Texas City (approx. half a mile away); Davison Home (approx. 0.7 miles away); Anchor from Freighter Grand Camp (approx. one mile away); First Aero Squadron (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Texas City.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 15, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 688 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on February 15, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 2. submitted on June 29, 2020, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.