Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Worth in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Site of Camp Worth

 
 
The Site of Camp Worth Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, May 20, 2010
1. The Site of Camp Worth Marker
Inscription.  This stone marks the site of Camp Worth, a United States Military Post named in Honor of General William J. Worth and Commanded by Major Ripley A. Arnold 1849-1853. The camp protected the frontier against Indians, and was the beginning of the City of Fort Worth.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 32° 45.446′ N, 97° 20.062′ W. Marker is in Fort Worth, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is at the intersection of West Belknap Street (State Highway 347 Spur) and North Houston Street (Business U.S. 287), on the right when traveling west on West Belknap Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 W Belknap St, Fort Worth TX 76102, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Worth (here, next to this marker); Site of the First Masonic Hall in Fort Worth (here, next to this marker); Tarrant County Criminal Courts Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Leonard Brothers Department Store (within shouting distance of this marker); First School
Tarrant County Criminal Courts Building and The Site of Camp Worth Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, May 20, 2010
2. Tarrant County Criminal Courts Building and The Site of Camp Worth Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); 1784 Tarrant County 1815 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tarrant County Courthouse (about 400 feet away); Texas Christian University (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Worth.
 
Camp Worth Marker Unveiled image. Click for full size.
Internet Archive
3. Camp Worth Marker Unveiled
Marker Erected By Mary Isham Keith Chapter (DAR), Unveiled and Presented to The City of Fort Worth, December, 28, 1921.

“Upon this tablet is carved a typical scene of the frontier days when Indians, prairie schooners and cowboys were common around the section now covered by Fort Worth. Broad prairie is shown in the view.”
From Daughters of the American Revolution Magazine Vol. LVII, No. 2, February 1923, Page 107.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 17, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 523 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 17, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California.   3. submitted on April 10, 2021, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=52717

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 19, 2021