Texas City in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Texas City Terminal Railway Company
Wolvin acquired the company in 1898 and created the separate Texas City Company for the townsite and the Texas City Terminal Company (TCT) for the railway and docks. He persuaded the U. S. Congress to fund dredging of the channel for ocean-going vessels by 1904 and to designate Texas City as a U. S. port of customs in 1905.
TCT official Hugh B. Moore persuaded the Pierce-Fordyce oil refinery company to move to the port industrial area in 1908. He continued to attract oil companies, and by the 1920s oil and petroleum refined products made up over 80 percent of the tonnage handled at the port.
The Texas City Terminal Railway Company provided Texas City its early water, electric, and sewage utility systems and established the community's first telephone, newspaper, and banking operations. Despite a catastrophic 1947 dock
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 29° 22.534′ N, 94° 54.268′ W. Marker is in Texas City, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is on Loop State Highway 197, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Texas City TX 77590, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The First Texas City Refinery (here, next to this marker); The Texas City Disaster (here, next to this marker); Propeller of the SS Highflyer (here, next to this marker); Booker T. Washington School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sociedad Mutualista Mexicana in Texas City (approx. 0.9 miles away); Davison Home (approx. one mile away); Anchor from Freighter Grand Camp (approx. 1.4 miles away); First Aero Squadron (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Texas City.
More about this marker. Marker is in a group of markers at the roadside in front of the entrance to the Port of Texas City.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 25, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 973 times since then and 24 times this year. Last updated on February 18, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 18, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 3. submitted on September 25, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.