Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Weatherford in Parker County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Parker County, C.S.A.

 
 
Parker County, C.S.A. Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
By Zacharias Beau T, circa July 5, 2009
1. Parker County, C.S.A. Historical Marker
Inscription.  Part of a colonial grant to S.M. Williams and Stephen F. Austin, father of Texas, but with no permanent settlers before 1850, this county was created in 1855 and named for Isaac Parker, its legislative sponsor. By 1860 it had 4,213 people and in 1861 its voters favored secession 535 to 61.

Oliver Loving, a settler, was an official stock raiser, furnishing beef to the Confederacy in the Civil War. He and 18 other men organized a full-time patrol against the frequent, bloody Indian raids. Citizens of adjacent counties took refuge here. In 1864 three local men were charged with treason. One admitted inviting federal General J.G. Blunt to come from the Cherokee nation and give Parker County protection from the Indians.

Gen. John R. Baylor, a local rancher, was an officer in the Arizona-New Mexico campaign to make the Confederacy an ocean-to-ocean nation, and after victories there became Governor of Arizona. He was in the Confederate Congress from 1863 to 1865.

Parker County sent the Confederate army nine companies. Its Company E, 19th Texas Cavalry, served in Parsons' Brigade--which fought over 20 engagements in
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
three years with considerable distinction.
 
Erected 1964 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3941.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
 
Location. 32° 45.536′ N, 97° 47.869′ W. Marker is in Weatherford, Texas, in Parker County. Marker is at the intersection of Palo Pinto Street (U.S. 180) and South Maine Street (Texas Highway 171) when traveling east on Palo Pinto Street. Not far west of Fort Worth, in Weatherford in front of one of the top 3 most beautiful courthouses in Texas. A Confederate veterans monument stands nearby. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: One Courthouse Square Weatherford, TX, Weatherford TX 76086, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Franco-Texan Land Company Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); James Claude Wright House (about 700 feet away); Old City Greenwood Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Dean of Texas Trail Drivers Oliver Loving (1812 - 1867) (approx. 0.4 miles away); August 17, 1945 B-29 Crash (approx. 1.3 miles away); Grace First Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); Clark Cemetery (approx. 7.6 miles away); Bankhead Highway in Aledo (approx. 11.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Weatherford.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 19, 2017. It was originally submitted on April 10, 2012, by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas. This page has been viewed 840 times since then and 42 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on April 10, 2012, by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 18, 2020