Franklin in Johnson County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Johnson County Court Houses
1ST ~ Court held Smiley’s Mill, 5 miles S.E. of Franklin Oct. 16, 1823
2ND ~ George King home, Franklin, Indiana, March, 1824
3RD ~ North Main Street, Lot 35, Log, 2 stories, Oct., 1824
4TH ~ Brick, 2 stories, May 5, 1832. Burned May 18, 1849
5TH ~ Brick, 2 stories, 1849. Burned
Dec. 12, 1874
6TH ~ Frame, located S.E. corner Monroe and Main Streets
Present Court House built 1879 to 1881, accepted by
County Commissioners Dec. 1881. Cost $100,000.00
Erected 1964 by Johnson County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics.
Location. 39° 28.812′ N, 86° 3.312′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Indiana, in Johnson County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Jefferson Street and North Main Street, on the right when traveling east. Located on the left of the North Entrance of the Johnson County Courthouse Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Franklin IN 46131, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Johnson County Spanish American War Honor Roll (a few steps from this marker); Johnson County Revolutionary War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Johnson County War Memorial Honor Rolls (within shouting distance of this marker); Johnson County Civil War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Province Hospital (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Johnson County Museum of History (about 600 feet away); First Cabin in Franklin (approx. 0.2 miles away); Birthplace of Paul Vories McNutt (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
Also see . . . Virtual Tour ( Courtesy - - Indiana Government web page). (Submitted on February 14, 2013, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 24, 2012, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 521 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 24, 2012, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.